Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What method of Identification  (Read 3654 times)

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
What method of Identification
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:28:58 am »
Hi I would be interested to hear what you find to be the best method of identification for your pigs, slapmark, eartags, tattoo?  Thanks Lu  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: What method of Identification
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:56:18 am »
I loathe and detest ear tags, the sows chew them out of each other's ears, they get caught in the bramble and tear the ears, etc. etc.  I would prefer tattooing.  Just trying to find some tattoo plyers at a price I can afford.

Advantages of ear tags : easy to see

Advantages of tattoo - never come out, dont cause a problem, cannot be cut off if pig is stolen.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:19:14 pm »
i have tried eartags, one got pulled out by the recipient, horrible mess. Mad me feel very bad for trying it. sticking to slap marking now.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »
Sometimes our weaners come tagged, sometimes not and we paint mark them for the abbatoir.

We've only lost one tag - last year, and I think it got eaten by one of pigs during play. The one that lost the tag was fine - no bleeding or anything.

However, one of our sheep pulled hers out on a haynet - her ear is well ripped.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »
put our eartags in just before they go to slaughter, enquired about slapmarkers very expensive, chap in countrywide told us £80-90,new type tags dont even need pliers...............cheers neil

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:57:36 pm »
Hello,

We tag & tattoo (ear) all pedigree stock. Stock that all only ever going to be fatteners (cross breds & odd shaped ones) are just tagged. Tags aren't lost that often, if they do then we simply re-tag them with the same details.

Cheers

Gavin

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:32 am »
We have a slap marker for the abatatoir.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS