Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water troughs - algae  (Read 339 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Water troughs - algae
« on: March 20, 2021, 05:40:12 pm »
We use the black plastic troughs in the grazing fields and I am bothered by the amount of algae growing on the water surface.

Should I be? 

How do we prevent or control it?  If we had only sheep, I could envisage "sunhats" for the troughs. but the cattle and ponies would just demolish anything I can think of...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Water troughs - algae
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:18:04 pm »
Unless it's blue green I wouldn't bother. I'm sure there's more animals drinking out of troughs with algae in than are drinking crystal clear water. Nearly all my fields are watered by a large water bowser and they always have algae in after about a week and in 30 years it's never seemed to have any ill effects. I'm sure no one checks long standing puddles for algae before they let their animals drink. Algae has been around long before the advent of field troughs. :thinking: 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:26:15 pm »
I change and clean mine once a fortnight.  You can add apple cider vinegar (if they're plastic not zinc) which helps prevent growth.  Salt does the same thing but make sure you use the correct ratio so as not to harm the livestock if going down that route.  I do have an abandoned concrete trough in one field that fills with rainwater... and yes, the nags do take that in preference to the clean water trough if they're closer!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:10 pm »
Thanks both, I shall sleep now...   And get some apple cider vinegar on Monday :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Water troughs

Started by ho !sheep! (13.09)

Replies: 2
Views: 763
Last post April 12, 2020, 08:49:20 am
by ho !sheep!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS