Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have been bitten by...  (Read 3831 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with docile cattle and sheep!
Re: I have been bitten by...
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2021, 02:59:24 pm »
My own much missed dog. Walking all 4 of them one night in October many moons ago and some plonker decided to set off a fire work. Fortunately I was wearing wellies but her border collie knashers went through them and into my leg! Went to the local hospital and they said I had to have a tetanus jab! Were rather surprised I couldn't remember receiving one at school! (I was in my late 20's. Long time ago!)

Jaspers!! Accidentally sat on one as I sat down in the tractor, shot up and out incredibly fast leaving tractor tootling along in low gear, fortunately! (I had felt a pain in butt, put my hand to rub, felt a pain on hand, looked and found wasp attached!!) NEEDLESS to say, when i approach tractor now, it's with squatter and doff powder!

Sheep nip, if overly keen on the tic tacs/sugar lumps and Juniper with the bread would wrap her tongue around hand, wanting to take fingers as well!

Animals, love them!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: I have been bitten by...
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2021, 03:46:24 pm »
Never been bitten by a dog, fortunately.
Cats yes, but usually in play by enthusiastic youngsters.
Pigs, yes but mainly just wellies/feet and not too badly. Always try to distract them with food if I need to go into the pen to do something else eg put more straw in ark or clean out water trough.
The worst bite I sustained was from a tetchy thoroughbred who I was grooming and hadn't tied up short enough. As I was doing his belly he whipped his head round and took hold of my back, teeth either side of my spine and just held on hard. I froze for a moment, not sure what to do as was terrified he might cause me serious damage, then whacked his belly hard close to his sheath (but not actually on it) with the curry comb and he let go. Never gave him a long rope again!
On another occasion the same damn horse decided to pin me against the stable wall when I went in to replace the haynet. Fortunately I wasn't kicked - he just backed into me and effectively held me against the wall for a few moments with his massive bum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS