Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Microchips for Pigs  (Read 4776 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Microchips for Pigs
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:33 am »
John is off to Austria with Barry in just over a weeks time to collect our new Mangalitza stock.

We intend to microchip these pigs in an attemp to ensure pure lines and prevent fiddling with pedigree papers in the future.

We believe things are in a bit of a mess in UK with this particular breed and I for one find it incredible that the different colours can be interbred and still be called pedigree.

I understand the why's - lack of bloodlines - but by deffination one assumes that pedigree means pure.

The microchip wont prevent the interbreeding of course, but it will ensure that pedigree papers cannot be transferred to other pigs which is something we know does happen with other Rare Breeds - Tamworths for example - we have had the experience of knowing that one of our sows is pedigree, but her original paperwork was passed to another pig long before we bought her.

What do others think about microchipping their pigs? For future pedigree litters it means chipping your existing breeding stock now, and then chipping any piglets that are sold on thereafter. There has to be a starting point, so one has to assume that the original information is honest and true. What we are implimenting is for each pig to have a unique identification which once implanted/recorded cannot be tampered with.  The same system as applies to pedigree dogs etc.

I don't know the cost as yet, but assume it will be on the lines of a dog. We have already enquired with the Austrians if they can microchip the Mangalitzas at source, but if not then we shall get our local vet to do this for us before the stock start to breed.

Kate  :pig:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:29:48 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Microchips for Pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:56 pm »
Sounds like a good idea, Kate.  Although I wonder does the fact that they are microchipped mean that if the seller should retain the papers (I have heard of this happening to someone who bought a pedigree pig from UK recently) for whatever reason, the pig's pedigree can still be verified and therefore one assumes the owner/holder of the pig would therefore be able to register the offspring.  Fascinating all this pedigree stuff.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:57:37 pm »
I have two trains of thought on this.  For us personally we would just transfer the name over to the new owner/register a pig for the new owner.  For those known to be less honourable, perhaps a contract chould be drawn up enabling both parties to be clear on the outcome of the sale - payment in full, transfer of ownership papers etc.  By not complying it does give 'come back' to both parties. I shy away from red tape I have to say, but perhaps for some people this would be one possible way.

People who come to buy my pigs often say that they feel they have been interviewed, and infact they have.  I would not knowingly sell one of my pigs to someone I thought could not provide the home that I would want for it.  By that token, if I wasn't providing the right facility for my pigs, people would not necessarily want to buy from me and in the end my bad reputation would preceed me.  To that end, for pedigree breeders, perhaps a complaints system could be put in place with the BPA - I don't mean a visible name and shame, but a register of people not doing things properly shall we say.  This would be compiled with complaints from the people who have been 'cheated' for want of a better word, and a register that reputable people could check against and know who to avoid buying from.

The microchip system works for dogs, I see no reason why it couldn't be made to work for pigs.  Transactions would normally be done face to face.  In the odd instance when perhaps a transport company is used, then arrangements would need to be made accordingly.  Paperwork completed before collection, sent by registered mail, or done by proxy. Individuals would need to make arrangements to suit both parties.

Any other thoughts on this anyone? I will probably think on with this, but I do feel it is worth doing.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:05:24 pm by pigsatlesrues »

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:13:39 pm »
hi sorry not overley on the topic i just wondered....

if you had two pedigree Mangalitza pigs of different colours and bred them together are the offspring not pedigree?

and on topic....

costs: (dont know if it will help but) we pay around £10 a cat (we breed so have good vetenary discounts) and when we have time we are both planning to go on the course so we can chip our cats ourselves, i assume the principle of chipping a pig is the same so it may be worth looking into if you do chip the offspring.  again reducing the costs, time etc chipping is becoming more and more wide spread by breeders before kittens go to new homes but is still not standard practice!

it is standard practice (by most breeders) when buying a pedigree cat it will come with a 'contract'. this is signed by both the breeder and the new owner. it normally stipulates things like what you are allowed to register / sell on the active (normally no boys unless for own use) if the kitten falls ill ie replacement, reinbursement etc. Its really just there to protect both parties in most curcumstances. 

not 100% on topic being a differnet breed of animal but hope some of that might help!  ;D :cat: :pig:

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:03 pm »
Thank you for your post Stephen, I feel very strongly that there has to be ways around this idea to make it work properly with the pigs, and as you say, it works well with other animals, and with the cats, contracts are common place.

I have a real bee in my bonnet   about keeping the colours pure with these pigs.  A lot of time and thought went into importing the three colours, and although I understand the reasons for the mixing that is going on - they are running out of blood lines basically - I liken it to say breeding a chocolate lab with a yellow lab and selling it as a pedigree - golden cocker spaniel with a black cocker spaniel - it just isn't done.

I had an interesting exchange of emails about this subject and it was suggested that the grading system that is in place for cows, could work just as well with pigs.

I hope she reads this thread and responds on the forum because she understands the formula better than I.

Thanks again

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »
When you breed dogs (as far as im aware) and definatley in cats mixing colours is how you get certain types of coat etc for example a bengal cat may be brown and rosetted but it can 'carry' different colours and coat types like the snow (white) gene as this is a recessive gene so both parent cats must be snow or carry snow to produce snow kittens! like siamese is a recessive gene, and i think that the dapple coat in dogs comes from putting two different colours/carriers together (please correct me if im wrong as i dont breed dogs!) i dont know how the genetic makeup of pigs works with breeding but if it is the same as with cats could it not be a positive thing to intorduce more colours / colour combinations into the lines giving a greater variety? (im thinking a tortie mangzilla!) obivously keeping the breed looking like it should (face shape, build etc) is very important.  ;D :pig: :cat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS