Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is willow any good for filling gaps in hedging ?  (Read 7825 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Is willow any good for filling gaps in hedging ?
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:32:55 pm »
My field has a well established traditional mixed hedge at about 7ft high which is mostly hawthorn with some areas of sycamore and hazel (I think!).  There are however a couple of areas where gaps have developed and I'm wondering whether or not sticking in some willow now in the dormant season would be suitable as a gap filler?

Must say that the field is used for sheep so whatever I use will need to be ok if sheep can reach it to nibble at !

And...... it's like grey squirrel city in a nearby wood !

any advice re what can be used that will grow quickly and is safe ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Is willow any good for filling gaps in hedging ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
I was wondering the same thing - to try to baffle the noise of the trains.  I think that's why I'm hearing them - there's a gap in the Leyland hedge (40 foot high)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:01 pm »
No idea if willow would be any good or not- but I'd love to come prune your hedge so I could feed it to the goats, it sounds great! We don't have a lot trees nearby.

Beth

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:08:47 am »
willow would grow in the gaps , some hedgers frown on it being used though . Sheep and goats will eat it though , some places I have heard of it being grown specifically as goat fodder. Ash will also grow in the gaps , as will any of the hedging types, but willow will fill the gaps a bit faster maybe .You could try just taking some cuttings from your other hedge plants and poke them in , if they don't take it won't have cost anything ?  If the gaps aren't too big , you could pull some of the nearest branches across and weave them in the branches of the bush the other side of the gap, or go mad and lay the whole hedge......It all depends on what you want to do really.

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:31 am »
Ok, then - I'll trade coming with willow to help me fill in the gaps for leylandii cuttings - as much as you want for goats or anything else that will eat them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »
thanks for the replies folks      will maybe hunt around some rough ground nearby and look for some naturally sown ash saplings to transplant

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:36 am »
Hawthorn and brambles are good fillers. Can't tell you if sheep mind the thorns...:&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:32:05 am »
if the hegde is to stop animals you'll need to uses a thorned bush otherwise they will push the gaps even biger but if you havea fence inbetween so the animals can't get throught the hole willow sound okay as long as the growing conditions are there
Linz

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:34:00 pm »
thanks for recent replies.    there's a stock fence immediately in front of the hedge so the sheep would only be able to reach so far, so could do willow.   I did read something recently (can't remember where now!) that you can't plant new hawthorn in the gaps as there is something in the existing hawthorn which will prevent the new planting from surviving - anyone able to comment further on that ? 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »
Willow is fine......and you can feed the trimmings to the sheep later :)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS