Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nesting materials for chickens  (Read 2318 times)

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
nesting materials for chickens
« on: September 27, 2008, 12:10:18 am »
Does it have to be straw? We're in Sydney and straw isn't easy to come by. Would lawn-clippings do as well? What about shredded newspaper? We can get straw if we need to, but if we don't I'd rather use what we have. Which is, as I said, grass clippings or newspaper.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: nesting materials for chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:00:33 am »
Grass cutting would do fine provided they are dried out - hay in other words.  Wood shavings would be an alternative but I personally would not recommend newspaper - messy.

You might be able to locate a mill, and I am sure they would sell you wood shavings - that would be warm and easy to clean on the floor and for nest boxes.  Do you have any stable in your area - they would be able to tell you where you could get hay.

Good luck!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: nesting materials for chickens
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »
We use shavings if we have too - problem is they take forever to rot down in the compost ehap. We use stuff called Hemcore - it's dried and shredded hemp. It's a byproduct of the papaer industry and is quite envorinmentally friendly to grow as it doesn't need much input of anything.

Don't know if you'll get it in Oz, though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS