Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best sheep hurdles (tall sheep !)  (Read 22812 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Best sheep hurdles (tall sheep !)
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:42:47 pm »
I'm about to buy some sheep hurdles for the first time - any advice from those in the know ?  The sheep are quite large (zwartbles) so presumably better with a taller hurdle or are they all the same height anyway ??

Any tips on best type/where to buy etc much appreciated ! 

(Am working on the principle that it's best to set up a semi-permanent pen area that I can bring them into to feed every day so that they're used to it, then when I want to do some work with them it shouldn't be too difficult).

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Best sheep hurdles (tall sheep !)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:55:08 am »
I would reccommend getting two sizes one tall to stop jumping and one just the right size for 'cocking your leg over' SOOO many times i've seen man and hurdle fall at a crucial moment. or get one with a latchgate installed
Ian

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:01 pm »
thanks Ian - its good to get tips on practicalities from those who've used them - had a laugh at the mental image of getting stuck halfway and falling over sideways while all the sheep jump out over you and leg it !!!   Like the idea of a latchgate so will look out for that

Thanks

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:16 pm »
Mole valley farmers ones are the best i have.....and i have lots! Don't get the painted ones as they are prone to rust...........get galvanised. Also get ones that have a sort of loop on the end top and bottom rather than the ones with a circle and 3 holes as they are actually more robust and a damn site easier to use!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:49 pm »
We bought galvanised ones with a square loop on the bottom and a round loop on the opposite top, for joining them up securely. Ours have mesh at the bottom to stop anything small getting through. They seem to work really well. We have them set up almost all the time and we feed the sheep in them. They were a major part of the race we built for moving the pigs this week.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »
We used Modulamb hurdles, bought them 2 years ago, and they are fantastic. We asked them to make the hurdles higher for us as we were using them more for goats than for sheep, and that was no trouble for them at all (although it did cost more). Delivery was free, and they unloaded them all themselves as well. Also no problem was our mixed order, we got a few sheeted hurdles, 8 gated ones and a bunch of ordinary ones, and the mixed order was no trouble.

Modulamb- http://www.modulamb.com/

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »
thanks to all for the replies - modulamb site looks good - will get some prices

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »
Rosemary - where did you get your hurdles from ??

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:08:04 pm »
McCaskie's in Stirling. Not sure if they were cheap but they were close and we were desperate. As usual!

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:47 pm »
Rosemary - thanks for that.  We have a McCaskies in Ayr Auction mart so can go there.  Same here - should be getting sheep home this weekend and still to buy hurdles !

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:57:49 pm »
You might have bought them by now, but Hugh O'Neill's in Ayr is quite good as well.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »
Thanks for that

Ended up getting them from Tom O'Neill (also from Ayr I believe and possibly related ! ) Phoned yesterday morning - very helpful and they were delivered in the afternoon - how's that for service !! 

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 02:50:28 pm »
They're pretty good. I always my hayracks from them because they're quite a good price- and they often let me collect them at an Agricultural show.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS