Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on sheep breeds please  (Read 13055 times)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
Re: advice on sheep breeds please
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »
I have ryelands but they are a devil to shear! the legs and belly can be a problem. I am lucky my sheeps feet only need doing every three months and I am getting a dab hand with that! I wouldn't recommend anyone going chemical free when it comes to flystrike as it is terrible to see when a sheep is affected.

My friend is a commercial farmer and he has a lovely breed called "easycare", they moult so do not need shearing because of which are a little less prone to flystrike but still require close inspection every day, the easy care is also more footrot resisitant. He also keeps badger face which are very friendly.

I have kept sheep since last year and it has been a huge learning curve, even with my farmer friends and Dan on this forum, being great help. I would say do not go chemical free until you are experienced and ask a sheep farmer to let you follow them around for a bit, it will give you and idea what time and care is involved, including the paperwork!

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »
Hiya wolfie, we've got various different types here :)

you say your in west wales, we are 7 miles from aberystwyth ;D if you like you can popover and see what different sorts there are to be had.

Dan
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 09:36:12 pm »
Hi wolfie, have you considered some cattle? weve just started with dexters and found them to be lovely nature easy to handle, little maintenance compared with sheep. dandanns has got some good stock for sale at the moment..................good luck neil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS