Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One night stand  (Read 3576 times)

sandy

One night stand
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »

I was asked today if a Cockerel has a “one night stand” with a Hen, is the Hen lightly to have fertile eggs the next day or for how long? I never thought about it before, I have a lot to learn.
 :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: One night stand
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:39:44 pm »
You and me both! :o  Over to you Rosemary!  How about a lesson on the birds and the bees as applied to Chickenland ;)
Anne
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:39:04 pm »
If the cockerel is active and fertile, then the next eggs might be fertilised, but obvioulsy the more stands, the higher the liklihood. My understanding is that hens can store semen for up to 21 days in their bodies so can lay fertilised eggs for three weeks after the cockerel has departed, for whatever reason.

sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »
Well I did wounder, I usefd to teach reproduction in upper schools and had no idea about hens, so now I have some understanding of the birds, so what about the Bees?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:20 am »
Over to forum beekeepers! My pal keeps bees and explained the working of a hive - it's really fascinating.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS