Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Canada  (Read 8273 times)

Terri-Lynn

• Joined Dec 2007
  • Canada
Hi from Canada
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:38:26 am »
Hi --I am in Nova Scotia, Canada. I stumbled onto this site while looking for small holding info. I have about 6 acres of brush hillside terrain, 2 dairy goats, 6 hens and our gardens. I am a soap-maker and my DH works from home as well. We homeschool our 2 DC. Looking forward to learning how you all manage your properties and what you grow. We have been striving for a self-sufficient lifestyle for around 10 years on 2 different properties. We had to move and sold our last place and have been here now for about 1 year. So much to think about and do.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Hi from Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:37:02 am »
How fantastic to welcome someone from so far away!!

Looking forward to reading your postings!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:13:11 pm »
Hi and welcome.  Hope you will consider pigs as well, 6 acres of brush would suit pigs really well. HM

Terri-Lynn

• Joined Dec 2007
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:49:24 pm »
We raised pigs a few years ago, at the other farm. We had a commercial type cross. There is someone locally who has some Berkshire but I haven't seen any other heritage type breeds around. I'm a little concerned about erosion here, we are in the side of a pretty steep slope. I might not get an area cleared and re-established quick enough with pasture pigs. Well I guess I could if I used smaller areas with electric netting and moved it very frequently. Something to think about, they certainly do a good job of removing all the roots.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:56:20 pm »
Hi, Terri-Lynn

Great to hear from someone across the pond. Where about in Canada are you? That will give me an excuse to get the atlas out as my geography is pretty ropy!!

Terri-Lynn

• Joined Dec 2007
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:11:04 pm »
Hi Rosemary, I am in Nova Scotia (New Scotland ha ha) which is on the East Coast.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:17:58 pm »
That's interesting. The village of Menstrie is about 5 miles from here - our local Council is hoping to twin with Nova Scotia because Menstrie Castle was the home of one William Alexander who established Nova Scotia for the Crown in - well, ages ago - my history is almost as good as my geography!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 09:48:01 am »
hey and welcome!  ;D

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:16 am »
Hi Terri-Lynn, welcome to the forum.  :)

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »
Hi Terri Lyn, sorry I am late in welcoming you but have been really busy lately anyway better late than never. Janx

Rosalie

• Joined Jan 2008
    • http://www.OurHelpYourSuccess..com/
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »
Hi Terry Lyn   Soap making an interesting craft someone else on this site makes soap with goats milk,, we make it with olive oil what do you make it with?
Rosalie
Finca in Spain for sale Please Visit www.my1standalucianhome.webs.com

Finally I’m making money on the internet. It's hard to find legitimate work for home opportunities. Take a look at my website to find out how.
http://www.OurHelpYourSuccess.com
http://www.OurHelpYourSuccess.blogspot.com/

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:40:38 am »
Hello Terry Lyn,
Greetings from East Devon - always fancied emigrating to Canada if we were going to go anywhere - any tips on the best places to go for our sort of lifestyle??
Guy
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS