Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EGGS  (Read 5279 times)

sandy

EGGS
« on: September 20, 2008, 05:12:45 pm »
Yes, I found four eggs todayand they were in thier hutch, so, we are well on our way, might have to start making cakes etc to use them up as we look like we will be a bit quiet in our B and B, I am happy now as I woundered if they were not going to lay due to the dark wet weather.....Sandra

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: EGGS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:50:05 am »
Isnt it wonderful to get those first eggs.  Today we got our first duck egg.  (Please imagine a firework pattern shooting around the screen now!!!)

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:59:33 am »
We got our first egg today too! We're wildly impressed, since its from a chook we bought yesterday  "Point of lay" indeed - this is one talented chicken  :)   

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:16 am »
I wish I could find some eggs!  My girls are experienced and naughty - they have to be laying somewhere but I am blowed if I can find out where.  I actually got four yesterday - I have been getting anything from three to none with a dozen layers - mostly none!!

Generally though in our area in Normandy, it has got very cold at night, and this is probably why no one seems to be getting any eggs.

So enjoy.  That first dippy egg will never taste so good!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:30:45 pm »
hi Sandie

I am glad your getting a supply now, there is nothing nicer that collecting eggs- i will have to wait awhile yet.  Rosemary has got some black rock chicks and i've booked 2, i am going to pop along and see them, they should be old enough by early November to come to their new home.  Hopefully the silkies will take to them and it will be more company for them.  I don't think i will get any eggs this side of xmas but who knows. 

I would imagine if your eggs look ok inside then ok to eat. 

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:26 am »
I really am new at this - could someone tell me whether you're supposed to wash the eggs as a matter of course? I was following the advice which says wash quickly in water hotter than the egg, but someone just told me that washing makes it more likely that bacteria will get through the shell...

PS I think I've fallen under the spell of these girls.   :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:29:53 am »
Both are true - washing removes tha natural protective coating on the egg allowing bacteria in, so only wash if absolutely necessary and if you do, use an egg sanitiser and hot water.

Try to keep the nest boxes closed at night so no roosting in them, keep them clean and lift the eggs regularly.

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:12:32 am »
Oh thanks, Rosemary. That's a really good idea, closing up the nest box at night. At the moment they sleep in the nest box, but I suppose I could build a separate one for night time - excellent idea!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:43:50 am by mccardey »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:07 pm »
You don't need nest boxes for sleeping in - they perch to sleep. Use a close grain wood to avoid red mite infestation - 2" x 2" and smooth off the top two corners so it's comfortable to perch. Allow 9" of length per hen. Site them about 18" off the floor - too high and they hurt their feet whan they jump down. You may need to place them on the perches for a few nights until they get the idea but perching at a height to roost is natural behaviour for hens.

Try forgetting to open the henhouse after cleaning and you'll find them happily perched in surrounding trees at night! I know this from experience!

sandy

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:16 pm »
Mine sometimes perch in a tree and they are just out of my reach so I have to stand on something and lift them out, if  you leave it until the dark then it's difficult as they cannot see. I am supprised how still they are in the tree, any preditor can have them for supper, my daughter lost her Harriet to a fox 2 day's ago, she was a pet more than anything and my daughter and her children are very upset so the neighbour is giving her some more chickens to replace the one she lost, her pigs are now in the butchers heaven so she is letting the ground settle a bit. I will probably sample some pig when I visit, our last X Mas present was a cockeral, we arrived late christmas eve and my partner, Steve had to help pluck and gut it...nice (no time to wrap it up in X Mas paper.....

mccardey

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:27:38 pm »
Perching it is, then. And if they have any problems with that, I'll just direct them to this board...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS