Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly duck.  (Read 12259 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Poorly duck.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
Daffy's leg was hanging backwards so I splinted it with two cotton buds and some elastoplast for a few days.  Gave her food and water, kept her in a warm box with fresh hay, and suddenly she stood up and walked!  What a fillip that gave me!  She is now back in with the others and holding her own.  She is tiny compared to my Khakis, so I don't think she can be a white Campbell - could she be a tame Aylesbury?  They're smaller aren't they?
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 08:44:31 pm »
After all her trauma poor Daffy is no more.  When I went out to them this morning she didn't come rushing out of the shed as usual so I went in to look for her - she was swinging her head from one side to the other and one eye was partly closed.  It seemed like a stroke to me - can ducks get strokes.  Anyway I just left her with food and when I went back a half hour or so later she must have got herself going and down to the water and she had drowned!  It must have been very quick. The others seem fine but I just hope it was a stroke and nothing infectious.  Poor Daffy - she had a sad life but I hope she had some peace while she was here.  She was certainly loved and well looked after anyway, but I hate losing any animals, that's why I don't kill and eat my own.  Other folks ones are OK ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:24 pm »
Oh, shame. Poor Daffy - at least she had a "ducky" end, where she was cared for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS