Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which drum carder ?  (Read 4076 times)

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Which drum carder ?
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:47:57 am »
Looking at the number of fleeces piled up in my hall I really need to speed up the processing of them. Rather than hand carding I think I need a drum carder (is this just an excuse??) - but which one ?

Can anyone advise between the various makes (Ashford/Louet etc) and what accessories do I need (packer brush, cleaning brush etc).  The fleeces are Shetland so are variable with some fine and 4" long to a bit coarser and a shorter staple. 

I'm on a budget, but don't want to make a mistake and buy an Ashford just because I've already had a go with this brand.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Which drum carder ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:48:42 am »
I bought a drum carder (Ashford) some years ago, but I don't find it particularly speeds things up, or at least not as much as I had hoped.  I also tried sending off some fleeces to be commercially carded, in the hope that that would speed up matters, but I wasn't happy with the result - the carded fleece (Shetland) was full of noils.  Can you spin any of your fleeces without carding?  Do you have a flick carder to separate the tips and butts.  Often Shetland can be spun without carding.
With the Ashford carder, I have to put the fleece through at least twice, then I tear the batt up into little pieces and make rolags - maybe I'm not using it efficiently.  I don't have any extras with it, just the doffing spike, which I also use to clean the tines.
I will be interested to hear what others think of other makes of carder - I bought the Ashford because that was what was available at the time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS