Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Tractors, Who's got what and what do you do with it?  (Read 22415 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Old Tractors, Who's got what and what do you do with it?
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:02:20 am »
Like the title says really. Share your experiences of running and using your old tractor!
We've just bought a 1958 Nuffield. It's in surprisingly good condition and came with a topper, a plough, a chain harrow, a roller and a log splitter. Plus loads of useful bits including a 1200 litre tank half full of red diesel! Still got a few bits to collect from the seller this morning then I'll be giving it all a good testing. Watch this space!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Old Tractors, Who's got what and what do you do with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Sounds like quite a find!  Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »
Having given the tractor a good look over this morning I hooked the topper up and cut about 2 acres of longish grass and weeds. Everything works well and the tractor ran perfectly without even noticing the topper on the back. Overall pretty please with the whole purchase. I'll post a few pictures when I get a spare minute.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:37:37 am »
got a 1959 mf35x got a rear loader chain harrow linkage box and flatbed trailer for it works most weekends have had a few probs with derv so make sure you use a gauze to filter the fuel when you fill up as these old things dont like working at the best of times

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
macormick b275 1968 works alongside my 2 newer tracoters doing log spliting hay turning harowing topping and odd jobbing bought to restore but it runs on fresh air compaired to my 2 100hp+ tractors and pointless haveing them on the spliter  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »
Weve a 1976 John Deere 2030 which we loooooove. It has been making hay today! its 75hp 2wd, no cab, but we dont want to do farmy things when it rains anyway. It has a Quicke loader too.

Ace thing and we love it.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:11:40 am »
We have a red Fergie! a 35 x or something.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:03:33 am »
Here's the missus driving our Nuffield the day after we got it. The cab's off something else but looks ok. It'll look great if I ever get round to cleaning it.

woodsman

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:05:33 pm »
for my sins ,i have a david brown 880 .
mainly has a hycrack type log splitter on the back .
or a trailer ,or link box .
also have a never-fitted-anymore front loader .
If it's too steep to plough , put sheep on it , if the sheep fall off , plant trees .

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »
went hunting for sloes today walked a few footpaths around where i keep my pony found an old metal barn with a single padlock not opened in yrs by the look of it looked through the hole and there was a mf35 and a cabbed tractor with a front loader miles from any road well about 1 mile away and across 3 fields may need to invest in some bolt croppers lol

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:05 pm »
Find out who owns them and make an offer, classics are making good money when working again. I joke with my postie that my OH is having a new tractor sent up piece at a time with the amount of parts he is buying for this tractor he is doing up :o :o

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:49:36 am »
I fell heir to a Grey Fergie at the beginnig of the year and have conned an uncle into helping with the restoration!!!
It needs a new fuel tank (petrol/parrafin) and some tyres but the rest is straight and clean-ish.  A wee bit tinkering and TLC will see it running again as it was last started about three years ago and since thren has been in storage of sorts. 
My mate collects old machines and has umpteen attachments like saw tables, disc and chains sets, harrows, grubbers, ploughs, potato planters and many more all available for me to use on my huge half acre!!!!
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »
where you from?

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:28:51 pm »
Good man!

Just bought a 1966 International B414 needs a draw bar for the rear, looked on ebay cannot find the exact part.
Think the first purchase needs to be a workshop manual, again seen on ebay. Trying to organise a V5 registration doc with original reg no but DVLA proving to be a bit ticklish over this, i am particularly interested in a log splitter and saw bench for the PTO. The who lot is to go to France to our property there.

Keep us posted

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 04:34:28 pm »
B414 man again

See you have a new top link at the rear, roughly how much as I need one as the one with the tractor is somewhat bent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS