Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What weeds are good or bad for Chickens?  (Read 3048 times)

sandy

What weeds are good or bad for Chickens?
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:23:25 pm »
No eggs yet but I thought about transplanting some weeds and grass into pot's for my Chickens but not sure what they like best and what plant's/weeds are bad for Chickens, any advice?

Sandy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What weeds are good or bad for Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:36 am »
If you want to give your chickens some green stuff, I'd recommend cabbage or cauliflower leaves, Brussels sprout stalks, comfrey or nettles - but don't just throw them in the run as the chooks will turn them to a green mush in no time. Tie up a bumdle of leaves and hand them at beak height and they'll peck at them without walking all over them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:31:03 pm »
Mine are eating cauli florets right this minute, and they love it.  My daughter didn't get round to using all of the last one so the chooks and dooks are benefitting.  You're right, Rosemary, she gave me greens as well and they just got trampled into the mud.  I'm getting my ex-batts on Sunday, so just waiting for No 1 Son to come over and help put up the shed and fencing (to protect them from the dogs during training sessions)
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »
My chickens do not seem too bothered by cabbage  or vegie bits, I also risk life and limb picking nettles and wild fruits, they love the fruit but leave the nettles. How is the fencing comming on Annie? Last night I  was on the phone and it got very dark quick and the Chickens had roosted in the tree again and it was very hard to get them out as I am only five feet, my keyboard is suffereing due to spilling my tea on it on Saturday, anyway, got them out of the tree but they were like dead weights and would not budge, I am keeping and eye out for them tonight and giving them an early night....Pop in for coffee when your around, I could do with some wisdom......Sandy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:59:19 pm »
Might pop round tomorrow - will be in the village.  Not sure about the wisdom though - don't think I have much of that!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:35:16 pm »
I'll be out around eleven but back for twelve maybe I will take the dogs out earlier as at the moment I am still struggeling with walking too far due to a torn muscle again, it is much better now but I have to take a stick out as my leg tends to give way at odd times.....I had a hip operation four years ago and my muscle was stretched and tends to be a weak point, I hate it as I have realy been looking forward to some long walks around Gartmore Dam..Dam Dam Dam

See you soon, Sandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS