Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglets and foxes... safe age?  (Read 12814 times)

maffp

• Joined Aug 2010
Piglets and foxes... safe age?
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »
Hi!

I'm currently considering getting my first pigs as a method for keeping down bracken in my wood and ultimately for their meat. However, I know there are foxes in the wood. Guessing I'll need to use some electric fencing (especially because I'll be moving them about). Electric fencing against foxes is likely to run into a lot of money. Any ideas what sort of size/age a pig has to be before foxes won't consider attacking them? Then I could just stick with a less complex array or wires!

Cheers!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Piglets and foxes... safe age?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:00:36 pm »
If they're already 8 weeks old by the time you get them they'll be too big for a fox. I too was worried about that when I first started, but given the weight and - more importantly - squeel volume of a weaner I was told it was nothing to worry about. Plus I think there had been a fox in the pig's pen at night a few times but our chaps were still there every morning without any signs of distress of injury, so should be fine unless perhaps they're miles away from civilisation and the piglets are tiny?

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:07 am »
Hilary killed a fox when she was about 6 months old.  I think she squashed it, anyway it was dead in the field.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:25 pm »
Hilary is perhaps the best hero pig ;D  Good on her

Yes at 8 weeks foxes will give them a wide berth

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:46:05 pm »

I think that Hilary should have her own fan club!
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:08 am »
She has   ..... ME ;D

ea

• Joined May 2011
Young piglets and foxes?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »
I'm a bit concerned.  I am in the first cycle of piglets and our 'gilt' had a huge litter of 12, 11 remaining and she has done a sterling job of keeping them going, they are all extremely lively and healthy....however, I have been advised to wean them early-ish and have done so, today, at 4 weeks.  They are a bit skittish, but have responded well to lots of attention from the children. BUT now I am panicking about the foxes. we do have foxes in our garden.  will they be too young at 4 weeks to keep a fox at bay? the pen they are in is close to the house but I could do with some advice please. 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:08:21 pm »
May i ask why you weaned so early? I take it they (weaners) are out in a field with housing? Was mum losing condition? If not i would keep them with mum (put them back together ) she should go back to them very easily even at this time of night:but if she needed to be weaned then if they are all tucked up in bed together they should be ok.Young pigs are amazingly strong for their size and there is safety in numbers.Try not to worry too much pigs are vert resiliant creatures.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:50 am »
4 weeks is early to wean unless there is a medical reason - mothers condition or severe teat damage.  I would take them onto at least 6 weeks.  If mother is really struggling, consider a partial weaning - ie take some of the stronger ones off.  

If they are strong 4 week olds, then fox risk is small even at that age - but I would probably look to shut them in at night.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:54:30 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:47:11 am »
Unless there is a particularly sick and weakly individual, I would be amazed if a fox took any piglet over 14 days old. The only experience I ever came across of foxes taking very young piglets was in the severe winter of 1962-3 when they could find nothing else to eat and stole into the pig arks at night to try and grab a very young piglet. Four weeks should be no problem at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS