Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dexter cows  (Read 13418 times)

kimy

• Joined Aug 2010
Dexter cows
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »
Hi all!  I was reading an earlier thread about Dexter cows with interest.  I wondered how anyone rates their meat, and ease to keep them compaired with the bigger cattle?

We are looking to start with Dexter's - one female is ready to go to the bull and the others we are buying younger ready to breed from next year. Four of them in total, and a young bullock to grow on for meat. Being newbies we thought the smaller variety would be best to start with, and these particular cows have all been handled from birth so enjoy attention and aren't so daunting to me at least. Their parents are also very gentle, so it does fill me with some confidence.

I notice it was mentioned that Dexter's can be jumpers!  How high would your recommend the fencing please or is there a style of fencing that would suit them better?

Thanks Kimy :cow:

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: Dexter cows
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:24:51 pm »
Dexter meat is without doubt excellent and London restaraunt will pay very good money for it. Ill see if I can find some recent auction prices for stock sold for meat, it was exceptional, that I do remember.
Very tender and a nice balance fat content; of course this is Dependant on the right balance of food etc, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be able to help regards feeds for good meat.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »
Hi,

Not wanting to start a "breed war" I have found that dexters are far more bad tempred than the larger breeds of cow, we used to have dexters but have now switched to bigger varieties because, as a general rule, they are more laid back and placid.

Also one other thing to consider, and I don't know if it is the same where you are, but Slaughter and butchery for a small dexter is the same price as for a much bigger breed - so unless you have a market for "Rare-Breed" Beef it will cost you more Kg / Kg to stock your freezer with dexter beef rather than Angus / Belgian Blue etc.

Just my thoughts on the matter...........
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:47:16 am »
Agreed on the truce SfS  ;D

On temperament, an animals an animal everyones got a different personality; I found that keeping good contact through growth helps temperament: Some will agree on the temperament as good others will say bad and all from experience: My experience of them is quite docial if I'm honest; An exception here! If their in calf, them watch your back, they can be rather intolerant with all the hormones flying around.

Best suggestion I can make is find someone close by who has Dexter's, pay a visit, ask questions and make your judgment.

Meat to sell or meat to eat?

Butchery cost is a good point, however the butcher here does allow for size, but that wont be the case everyware. If your breeding to sell; in most cases the meat price will out weight the butchery costs, if its for your freezer, well personal choice, less meat costing more, but fine meat.

If I have cattle again Dexter's are and will be at the top of my list, its fair to say my main reason is space for me.

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:08 am »
I would say that ours are not docile enough to handle but will follow a bucket of feed anywhere.We had a 16 month bull slaughtered at the local abbatoir and it cost £50 including hanging in the cold store for 2 weeks. It was 84kilos each side. They cut it into quarters and we butchered it using a butchers knife and a floorboard saw !
Very tender meat with little fat.

kimy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »
Thank you I do appreciate your comments.  It is always good to hear comments from experienced folk like yourselves.  I have googled some breeders in our local and will indeed pay a visit to ask more about the breed.

It is our intention to grow the bullock for our own consumption, and later to breed from the females.  I think the stock we have lined up should be ok for us to start with, as they have been very well handled and named! They are being sold because of shortage of grazing and are much loved actually, so I think they were a lucky find.  I take the point though that hormones can affect any temperament,  they certainly do mine!!

Just one point though, fencing?  If they are prone to jumping, are there any tips regarding the fencing?

Thanks again. x
:cow:

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »
Have you considered Northern Dairy Shorthorns?? A rare breed that are listed as critical with the RBST.
They are duel purpose, good milk yields and excellent meat.
We have a herd and they are very calm, laid back and good to work with.
I always wanted some dexters but was talked around having this breed and have not looked back!! :)
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:44:08 pm »
Hi - I have a small herd of Dexters. They are beautiful beasts. The cows are not over friendly but the bull is incredibly sweet natured and likes a back rub !! One great thing about them is their extreme hardiness - they can live outdoors all year round. The beef is just wonderful - the best we have ever tasted. When our local farm did the butchery for us , the farmer  - who rears his own cattle  , bought a side to sell in his farm shop - he was so impressed. yes , maybe if you're in it for commercial reasons , Dexters may not be the best choice , although their beef is highly regarded , but for the smallholder I reckon they are hard to beat on many levels.
Our bull William is an escape artist - you need electric.
Good luck
 Bibs

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »
Have you considered Northern Dairy Shorthorns?? A rare breed that are listed as critical with the RBST.
They are duel purpose, good milk yields and excellent meat.
We have a herd and they are very calm, laid back and good to work with.
:)

i have to agree with dannidub, we have northern dairys a small herd of 3 cows, 3 heifers nearly ready for the bull, 2 young heifers and a young bull. I would also suggest traditional herefords, they are quite small and very laidback, almost to the point of being asleep. The problem with NDS is they are like rockinghorse s*** to get hold of ;D

forgot to add we are currently eating our way through a freezer full of nds beef and it is very nice ;D

pankie

• Joined May 2009
  • Yarnfield, Staffs
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:33 pm »
hi
in reply to the question of fencing I have short & non short Dexters. I have standard stock proof fencing with a strand of barbed wire 6 inches higher. Only ever had one occassion when a young heifer jumped it, when she was spooked. Hope this helps.
Steve

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »
Yes, we have Dexters as well and normal stock fencing is just fine with barb as mentioned by Pankie above. Thankfully we've had no escapees yet but they are easily handled and will come to a bucket for a treat and a scratch, lovely cattle in my opinion and as mentioned earlier, very hardy, ours were out all winter and thrived, coudn't say that for commercials!!
Gordon.

buryhillfarm

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 11:28:53 am »
We keep over 300 pedigree Dexter cattle and generally they are all good natured and steady, even when calving. We have 10 bulls and all are very quiet & easy to handle. 

We generally finish all of our cattle on grass without the need to feed any concentrates making more sustainable & cheaper to rear, the beef is outstanding.

They are extremely hardy and we winter out many of ours only supplementing the poor winter grazing with either hay or silage.

Dexters do make for a good choice for a smallholder who has limited land and only wants to keep a couple of cattle.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 12:35:37 pm »
there seems to be loads of dexters for sale on preloved. there is a dexter x shorthorn.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:40 pm »
Preloved? What's that?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:12 am »
a second hand web site but it deals in animals as well. have a look.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS