Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I remove metal eartags?  (Read 4583 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
Can I remove metal eartags?
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:26 am »
Hi, we have two 10wk old Kune Kune piglets.  One of them is nibbling the other ones metal eartag and it is scarring the ear.  It is ripping often, and making it look very unsightly for a pet pig.

The tags were put in by the old owner, and do not have our herd number on, so is it OK to take it out?  I realise that I don't need them to be tagged if I just keep them here, and will need to tag when I move them anywhere. 

If I can take it out, how on earth does one go about this? 

We are new to the rules and regs so any help would be very gratefully recieved.
Z :pig: :-\

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Can I remove metal eartags?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:47 am »
Living in France I cant comment on the rules, we take out metal eartags when they cause problems.  Just clip with a pair of strong plyers whilst piggy is having a tummy rub.

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:39 am »
Thank you, I am a little scared of ripping it further, and there isn't a lot of room to put pliers in....
But I will pursue it!
Thank you again,
Z

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:40:31 am »
When you say 'clip' do you mean that I need to cut the tag?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:49 am »
Yes.  Although it may be that a good application of germaline type ointment may help to clear up the damage, then putting something nasty tasting on ear (cant remember the name but used to be able to buy in a bottle yellow liquid stank to high heaven great antiseptic would work well) to discourage the other pigs chewing it.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:03:07 pm »
Whilst it is technically illegal to remove them under the regulations (PRIMO 2007), I would take them out under welfare and in the very highly unlikely circumstance that it is queried, I would say that they fell out!

If thepigs ever move again they will need a tag with your herd no. on in any case, so the old ones have no significance.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
the vet removed them as there was an abcess starting.
 :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS