Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Space  (Read 3683 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Pig Space
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
hello everyone, I have just found and joined the forum and I am considering the possibility of pigs... but.. before I do anything else I want to start out with some basic information like .. how much room do I need? ... I am considering two pigs probably of the smaller tamworth breed, but obviously if I don't have quite enough space then it's a non starter :)

Look forward to conversing with you all on many subjects.. what a great forum!

Have a wonderful weekend

Sam

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Pig Space
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:45:12 am »
Hello and welcome Sam, you will get lots of pig info on here.  :wave:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:56:09 am »

Hi Sam
 I have 3 sandy and blacks in an area of about 1/3 of an acre, this means that I have to lift the poo regularly and give it 4-5 months rest, I have had saddlebacks in the same area with no problems. If you have limited space perhaps the smaller breeds would be best, I am thinking of trying Berkshires next as they are pretty small.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »
Tamworths are not small.  The one we have here currently is not a particularly large example but is at least as tall as my large black.

A lot depends on what you want to do with them, e.g. have them as weaners in April to despatch as meat in November, and resting the land for a few months between.  In a smaller area you will have to accept your pig pen rotating between the Grand Canyon, Sahara and Somme depending on the weather.  Picking up the pig poo regularly will keep down the smell and the flies.  You would need to wean at least once in 6 months.  Give plenty of bulk in the form of fruit and veg along with the normal pig nuts.  As long as they can run around, dig, eat, drink, sleep in comfort, have access to a wallow, a good shelter and shade from the sun, they will be happy.

Most important do you have neighbours who may complain ?

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 01:13:31 pm »
Thank you for your replies ... yes the starting plan would be to have weaners and slaughter in autumn then give the land a rest in between.

As for the neighbours .. they might, most I don't think will complain, my most direct neighbours aren't a problem which is who share a direct boundry with me.. other than that my garden is separated by a lane which people in the next street use for access to their back gardens.

:pig: My piggie project wouldn't be undertaken until next year at the earliest even though it is hard to curb my excitment, but I never undertake anything lightly particularly where animals are concerned and always try to find out as much as I possibly can before undertaking the care of a new animal :)

I guess the thing the neighbours are most likely to complain about would be the smell... but as you say regularly poo picking will help to keep this down. I think I will have a word with the local council and find out what if any restrictions there are for keeping pigs. I did the same when I decided to keep chickens .. I was a very popular neighbour then :) but I am confident now that I have enough space for them.

Any information, advice or tips anyone has would be most welcome .. also I am not familiar with all the breeds of pig so if anyone thinks a different breed would suit my situaion better please let me know :)

Many thanks for all your kind responses.

Sam

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
We pick up the pooh every morning and every evening whilst they eat, it's more their wallows (in which they might wee) that smell, but these are drained with a simple gully system dug out of the soil and we rotate the wallows, too.

If they get lots of fresh fruit and vegetables or grain products instead of solely pellets they'll drink less, and that seems the best way of keeping the smell down.

Eve  :wave:

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:16 pm »
Ohh great tips there eve .. thanks a lot  :D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:07:32 pm »
Just remember to buy proper Marigold rubber gloves, not a value brand!  ;D

Eve  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS