Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: barred plymouth rocks!! opinions on this breed please?  (Read 2425 times)

chellebells69

• Joined Jul 2010
barred plymouth rocks!! opinions on this breed please?
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:13:57 pm »
Hiya all
i am just bout to invest in a trio of barred plymouth rocks, the pullets are point of lay. I am a new chicken keeper and would like any info on what these breed are like? temprement? egg laying etc
we are going to pay £65 for the trio is that sort of money about right?
thanks michelle

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: barred plymouth rocks!! opinions on this breed please?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »
£65 is abit on the expencive side, as you will be buying siblings (Brother/Sister) You would be better off buying just pullets and waiting untill later in the year to buy an unrealated cockerel.Towards autumn there will be people givng cocks away (even PR) ,as they don't want to carry them through the winter

PR are not rare and for that sort of money they would have to be pedigree and well bred. Run of the mill backyard birds should be about £20-£25 each maximum.
Have a look on the web and write down the breed discription and measure the birds by it before you buy them.

Don't get ripped off just because the seller knows more than you do.

PM me if you need any more advice.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40:16 am »
I would recommend this breed for beginners and second all of Castle Farm's comments. I had a couple of hens and they were beautiful, docile birds, very hardy and laid huge double-yolkers fairly regularly  :love:

I think I paid about £15 each for my two, but that was about 5 years ago. £65 for the trio is definitely excessive IMO but it depends a little on where you live too.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »
thats good to hear - just set 12 PBR eggs!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS