Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red mite  (Read 4866 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Red mite
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:42:25 pm »
Hi! What do people use currently to combat red mite? We haven't had chooks for a while. And now we have the dreaded mite. Diatomaceous earth? Not sure we can get that here in France.  Any thoughts welcome.
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Red mite
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:56 am »
Good old fashioned creosote, not the new stuff, but the older used for fences etc.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:42 am »
If we get an infestation, I treat the house with insecticidal cleaner and rpt 6 days later to kill any hatched eggs and break the insect life cycle. I then use spot on ivermectin to kill anything that might be on the birds. I keep on top of the mites with regular cleaning and diatomaceous earth.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:35:33 pm »
Talking to a local farmer recently and he reckons he paints his shed inside every year with diesel and to date has had 0 problems with red mite.
He puts his birds in a different shed for a week or 2 until its dried out + the smell has gone.

Garlic juice mixed in the water is supposed to be good.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:55 am »
We go for a mix - flame gun, creosote and diatomaceous earth (on hens and perches), with good success.

This evening while looking to buy biological controls for red spider mite on my cucumbers, I came across a site which offers a biological control for red mite in poultry. http://dragonfli.co.uk/ 
I've no idea if it's effective or not, but I've not seen this before so it caught my eye.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:08:39 am »
If we get an infestation, I treat the house with insecticidal cleaner and rpt 6 days later to kill any hatched eggs and break the insect life cycle. I then use spot on ivermectin to kill anything that might be on the birds. I keep on top of the mites with regular cleaning and diatomaceous earth.

Just be aware that egg withdrawal is 2 weeks minimum with ivermectin, and eggs from treated birds may never be sold.  Our vet reckoned you shouldn't ever eat their meat if you'd treated them with ivermectin.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:00 am »

Just be aware that egg withdrawal is 2 weeks minimum with ivermectin, and eggs from treated birds may never be sold.  Our vet reckoned you shouldn't ever eat their meat if you'd treated them with ivermectin.

Seems strange since it's used for humans as well   ???

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 12:27:18 pm »
I have eaten the eggs + meat from ivermectin treated poultry for years,I allow 2 weeks for eggs and 28 days for meat. These were the times given me by my poultry vet. Hasn`t killed me yet so im guessing its ok  :thumbsup:
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »
Best cure for red mite is to burn the house down and start again.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »
Hmmm, we have a plastic house, it was a jigsaw so still lots of crevices. I've ordered some diatomaceous earth but I'm guessing I'll need some some chemical to go with it? So no creosote due to plastic.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:45:16 pm »
If you're not happy with using chemicals, which I'm not, did you see my comment about a predatory mite, below?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 05:17:51 pm »
We have used "flea bombs" before to good use. Buy them from amazon. Fumigate then ventilate.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:20:16 pm »

Seems strange since it's used for humans as well   ???

Products are not necessarily quite the same even though they are sold under the same name when you use them on different animals. Spot On for cattle and sheep would not be good for your dog for example.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:18 pm »

""Just be aware that egg withdrawal is 2 weeks minimum with ivermectin, and eggs from treated birds may never be sold.  Our vet reckoned you shouldn't ever eat their meat if you'd treated them with ivermectin.""

""Seems strange since it's used for humans as well   ??? ""

""Products are not necessarily quite the same even though they are sold under the same name when you use them on different animals. Spot On for cattle and sheep would not be good for your dog for example.""

As you correctly point out Harmony - Spot on for dogs is a completely different product to Spot on as used on farm animals.
Ivomectin, however, is the generic term for a specific wormer and there is no confusion as to which wormer it is. So Ivomec as prescribed for humans (and it's taken orally) is the same product that you can use on poultry. Now I don't see how a few drops applied to a hen can possibly cause any effect on a human by the time it's gone though the hen's body. This dosage is negligible compared to the safe human dosage! And I certainly don't see how these few drops make said hen unfit for human consumption for the rest of its life.
I believe people make these sweeping statements about withdrawal periods because there has been insufficient research done on Ivermectin in poultry and the relevant information on withdrawal periods (if any) isn't available.

I personally put a couple of drops of Ivermectin on the top of the head/neck of affected birds, and carry on eating the eggs as usual. After all, I wouldn't be worried about a few drops landing on my skin, so why should I worry about any microscopic amount getting into the eggs? :thinking:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:42:48 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:22 am »
If you're not happy with using chemicals, which I'm not, did you see my comment about a predatory mite, below?
Hi fleecewife, the bio control seems to be for red spider mite. The solution for red mite in poultry is £45, and I only have 4 birds. I've just spent ££20 on diatomaceous earth! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS