Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming lambs at weaning  (Read 3255 times)

LLASH

• Joined Jun 2017
Worming lambs at weaning
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
We had a egg count done and vet recommended a clear drench 'Zolvix' for the lambs at weaning even though egg count was relatively low. However it seems an expensive wormer and was just wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced clear drench to give to our lambs at weaning time. Or does anyone have any reviews on 'Zolvix'
Many thanks

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Worming lambs at weaning
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:00 pm »
Zolvix is relatively new and has the best profile for resistance. It is generally used for situations where the worms are known to be resistant to other wormers, or when buying in new stock.  I think you need to check again with your Vet why they recommended Zolvix rather than Ivermectin for example. It is a bit odd.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:56:59 pm »
I agree with Pharnorth - that sounds really odd. Zolvix is one of the big guns, which should only be used when other methods have been proven ineffective.

We sold some lambs last week to somebody who was putting them on worm free pasture that had had no sheep on it for many years. Even in that case, our vet recommended Dectomax as a quarantine wormer, on the grounds that even if some resistance has been reported elsewhere, it was very unlikely that we would have resistant worms ourselves.

Could you perhaps just use a regular white or yellow wormer and then submit another sample for FEC afterwards to check that they are now worm free?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:00 am »
I was under the impression that Zolvix was one of the purple group?  AHDB recommendations for the circumstances in which you'd use it are quite specific (mostly as a quarantine drench for incoming stock that may be carrying resistant worms) and don't include that particular scenario.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »
Zolvix isn't a clear drench. It is orange. What do you intend to do with your lambs? If they are going for slaughter and they are reaching target weights then why worm?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:26 pm »
If the egg count is relatively low then I question why worm them.  All sheep carry worms and our farm vets tell us they are fine and no issues.  I wonder if some vets are using wormers as supplementary commission income.  Id be tempted to ask for the count numbers and see what they think as normal.  If the sheep are put on fresh pasture weekly and are in good health with small worm then I would ask again.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:14:11 pm »
ZOLVIX  group 4 orange is now available from your local ag supplier not just your vet .  The latest recommendations are to give all your lambs a dose  at weaning  or once per year ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:06 pm »
ZOLVIX  group 4 orange is now available from your local ag supplier not just your vet .  The latest recommendations are to give all your lambs a dose  at weaning  or once per year ?

The latest recommendation from who?

A general recommendation about worming is not to worm the complete flock. The reason Zolvix has been released is to combat AR so surely encouraging it to be used on all lambs at worming across the farming sector is running the risk of AR to the product?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:50:46 pm »
You are correct and this has been well discussed in the farming press , and the once per year dose has been talked about for years . Personally I have used neither ZOLVIX OR STARTEC  and hope they are there  for any future problems

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:28 pm »
Quote from SCOPS  manual 2013 so ready for re assessment   ,  New compounds should be used strategically  and only when necessary , however they SHOULD  NOT be left " in   reserve " for when all other groups have failed on farm . It is important they are integrated into worm control plans along with existing products

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
The idea is you are likely to have a certain level of resistance to older compounds and the hope is, that by using Zolvix later in the season when the profile of worms in the lambs gut is going to include more resistant worms proportionally that you will extend the useful life of the older products on your farm rather than sticking to one or two until they don't work, using another one or two new ones until they don't work etc.

Personally if the count is low I wouldn't be worming anything

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:19 am »
Ah, that makes more sense, especially if understood within the context of maintaining a population of susceptible worms 'in refugia' on the pasture already.

I still don't understand the OP's vet's recommendation to use Zolvix as a first resort, and on low worm count though. Wouldn't it make more sense to either not worm at all, or to use one of the older products, and then re-sample to check effectiveness?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:13:52 pm »
The idea is you are likely to have a certain level of resistance to older compounds and the hope is, that by using Zolvix later in the season when the profile of worms in the lambs gut is going to include more resistant worms proportionally that you will extend the useful life of the older products on your farm rather than sticking to one or two until they don't work, using another one or two new ones until they don't work etc.

Personally if the count is low I wouldn't be worming anything

That would make sense. And agree with your last comment.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 11:43:39 am »
I think it's Startect that's purple group.  Our farm vets arranged a very good evening's seminar on lameness/bolusing/worming and it was mentioned that NZ now has almost complete resistance to all 3 old wormer groups.  That is not good, and I'm also bearing in mind that the two new groups are very expensive.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 11:50:52 am »
I think it's Startect that's purple group. 

Yes, Startect is purple and Zolvix is Orange.

There's a really useful table on the SCOPS website which explains all the different products and groups. Hopefully clicking here might even take you to it!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS