Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mucking out stable  (Read 3852 times)

Sierra7

• Joined Jul 2017
Mucking out stable
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:25:09 am »
I have an extremely stupid question, so please forgive me in advance.  ;D. I am the proud new owner of 3 very beautiful Anglo Nubian goat kids (just keeping as pets and not milking) and having never kept goats before am on a steep learning curve.

I have donkeys and chickens which I bed on straw and am doing the same for the goats in their stable, with a layer of aubiose underneath to soak up the urine. My stupid question is; how do you muck out with the pellets being so small? I can't pick them up with a shavings fork and can't sweep them up as they're all mixed in with the straw. I'm reduced to trying to pick them out by hand ( ::) ) but surely this can't be the easiest way. Maybe bedding on straw is the problem? Does everyone else use shavings or hemp bedding?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, this place is great and I've already gathered much useful info from your collective wisdom!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Mucking out stable
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:26 am »
No need to muck out daily and remove the top layer of soiled bedding as and when necessary.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:56:24 am »
I think most people deep litter their goats, top up bedding daily and clear out and disinfect once a month

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:45 am »
I have donkeys and poultry and used to keep goats.  Used the same system for all of them - top up the soiled bedding daily (possibly remove large bits produced by donkeys) and clean out when convenient. It might even be only once a year. But the used bedding underneath rots down, with considerable production of heat which kills bacteria, and the rotting process reduces the volume of manure. I don't, however, leave it till it reaches the roof, or until it becomes a mammoth task. :farmer: 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:04:42 am »
I have donkeys and poultry and used to keep goats.  Used the same system for all of them - top up the soiled bedding daily (possibly remove large bits produced by donkeys) and clean out when convenient. It might even be only once a year. But the used bedding underneath rots down, with considerable production of heat which kills bacteria, and the rotting process reduces the volume of manure. I don't, however, leave it till it reaches the roof, or until it becomes a mammoth task. :farmer:
I knew someone who did leave it until the goats were touching the roof, he then put pigs in the buildings to root through it all before mucking out.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:14:23 am »
I have kind of shavings fork that I use. ..its more like a dustpan and rake affair though. No idea what its called but we used to use it for our pony in the field. It works quite well to shuffle the poos into the long handled scoop thing! I probably manage to get 50 - 75% depnding on how much I am actually trying that day!

I think I muck out too often tbh generally every couple of weeks or so. I worry too much about it. Need to top up more and muck out less methinks!

Sierra7

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:00:37 pm »
Awesome! I knew you lot would be helpful. Thank you so much.  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 11:21:37 pm »
I also use deep bedding. There is a plank nailed across the bottom of each doorway and when the level of straw reaches that, they are cleaned out. Probably every three months. As well as straw, I use shredded paper as it rot down well and helps soak up urine.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 09:49:01 am »
What a good idea!!

Off to find a suitable plank!

And shredded paper sounds à fantastic idea too.

Kealy

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:54 am »
something like this might work.

http://www.onlineforequine.co.uk/shires-spare-long-handle-manure-fork?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnubLBRC_ARIsAASsNNmOgzVgaaj08rS_4TbjZ4TMRr0Ualt0KM9n0eED9k-dXOwW_t27e7gaAkfTEALw_wcB

I've always had them for horses, you can use the raked side or the flat side. They're not expensive and available from most country/feed/equine stores.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:31:27 pm »
Your link doesn't seem to work Kealy, but it sounds like the thing I have! 

https://www.wynnstayonline.co.uk/equine/tidee-muck-scoop-rake.html

Kealy

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 05:26:10 pm »
That's the one Flump74

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »
I mostly let the bedding build up, but to try and keep them a bit cleaner I use a short handled shovel and a trowel to slide the pellets on..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS