Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why would bringing wet sheep indoors cause pneumonia?  (Read 3930 times)

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
Why would bringing wet sheep indoors cause pneumonia?
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »
Hi,

Can someone explain how sheep would get pneumonia by being brought into a stable when they are wet?

I know pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs caused by infection by microorganisms or parasites. I know that bad weather and physiological stress may reduce a sheep's immune function, allowing infectious microorganisms to cause pneumonia.

But why would being brought into a stable trigger pneumonia? Unless the sheep were really stressed by being indoors, I would have thought that being dry and in less draft would help, so I am interested in understanding why this is said not to be the case.

Thank you.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Why would bringing wet sheep indoors cause pneumonia?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »
I think bringing sheep with wet fleeces potentially raises the humidity levels which provides the conditions for bacteria, viruses and fungi to multiple and spread.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:58:16 pm »
I'd speculate the primary reason is reduced ventilation. Also increased dust/hay particles, and possibly some reservoir of virus protected in proteins stuck to roofs etc all leading to a higher air burden of same. Add your speculation of increased stress from herding and changed environment to the above.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:13:18 pm »
Humidity, in a tighter packed area than out in a field, ventilation all contribute to pneumonia. Nothing wrong with housing sheep but bringing them in dry will help prevent pneumonia not to mention keep the bedding drier and therefore reducing foot problems caused by damp wet bedding.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »
 A few sheep in a well ventilated stable aren't likely to come to any harm. After all humidity outside is 100% when it's raining! So the animals are actually a lot less likely to suffer stress when they are cosy inside (even with wet fleeces) than they are outside getting colder and wetter.

Many people with just a few sheep have a shelter for them to go in when the weather's bad. Surely they're not going to shut them out if  the sheep don't manage to get inside before it rains :raining: [size=78%]     [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:09:13 pm »
I think Landroverroy's point about ventilation is a key one. Many stables are not well ventilated.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:52:22 pm »
ventilation is key and also damp animals breathing warm are into an enclosed space will warm up the shed causing ideal bacterial breeding conditions which can be inhaled and not blown away by winds as happens outside
Ian

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:50:55 am »
Agree with all above ....   ventilation is vital ....(stables are for horses not sheep and you wouldn't put away a wet horse)   what feels drafty to you is probably just about ventilated enough!....  wet sheep can take days to dry in a shed ....    Sheep are designed to be out in all weathers (that's what lanolin is for)  ....  they come in for our benefit not theirs generally.   
 Pneumonia loves warm and wet conditions whether inside or out.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:06:36 am »
Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.  We have an old-fashioned 50 year old pole barn, used for everything sheep-related and for calf-rearing.  It has a high roof and is open to the wind blowing through from all directions.  We put up low baffles to protect lambs and calves as necessary but the air above their heads is constantly replaced.  Even so, we bring forward housing the ewes for lambing a couple of days if rain is forecast on the date we'd originally set.

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:59:59 am »
Thank you all for your replies. I have a much better understanding now. :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:35 am »
To improve airflow in a stable which generally have solid doors and sheep will be below the main airflow use a hurdle across the doorway instead.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS