Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenbelt planning  (Read 3833 times)

Eggucation

• Joined Jul 2017
Greenbelt planning
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:07:33 am »
Hi guys just joined tho have meant to for ages but been too busy building my new pens...

I bought 2.2 acres (Greenbelt) in front of my house in April, in response to losing the land I've been a tenant on for 6 years. Very stress time......On that rented land (also greenbelt) I had a 'mobile' field shelter as stabling for my two horses and all the breeding pens for my rare breed poultry I keep as a passion, for showing, conservation and as a vital part of my business, Eggucation.

My new land has a CPH number and is registered for the poultry (also DEFRA registered etc) and for goats and sheep as I am due to get 2 GG goats and some wether lambs to grow on for the freezer.

I have built an amazing set of runs for the birds - heras temporary fencing and new wooden shed, and have built them the furthest from the houses and road as possible - there are only houses on one side of the road and my field on the other. It slopes away from the house and the pens are visible from the houses but only just - more so from one direction along the road - my plan is to plant a small orchard at that end to screen the pens (ill ask for advice on what to plant on another thread lol)

I applied for planning to put a concrete pad down to put my shelter on and in the future two more stables. In my area (barnsley) they have always looks favourably on the cutting up of stables on green belt but apparently there was a case of an appeal that went court in the last few months and was lost - hence the council have U-turned on that.

The case officer came and did a site visit and when we spoke yesterday I got a grilling about the hen pens - she said that despite the fact that none were permanent structures all needed planning and hence she would be referring it to planning control. She is also doubtful I will get planning for the stables and wanted to move it away from the road and down the field (this means that the residents will see it more but the traffic on the road less - this is apparently the priority)

So sorry for the long winded message - I really am lol - but does anyone have any experience they can help me with so that the life changing amazing thing of getting all my birds/business at home does not turn into a stressful nightmare? Wishing I had not bothered with the planning and trying to do things right and had just banged up the mobile shelter again and got on with life...... >:(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Greenbelt planning
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
When we put up our barn, the planners were very impressed with the willows we had already grown to screen the area from just about all angles. Permission was quickly granted, and he suggested we add in a couple of sheep shelters at the same time.  I think it helped that he really liked our place and its location, and what we do here  :thumbsup: .  Not all planners are horrible and out to refuse you.  I think its always best to do things the right way to prevent endless hassle later, and end up getting yourself a bad name, so that next time you apply for something they say 'oh her - no way' !!

The willow doubles as quick burning fuel, shade, sheep and goat browse etc and grows quickly to nice bushy plants.  It has an added wildlife value of early pollen and nectar for queen bees when they first emerge in spring.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Eggucation

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:12:29 pm »
Yes i like the idea of willow - in fact I spoke to a couple of willow weavers at some events I've attended but its too late to plant it now - it all happened very fast - agreed the sale and it was mine 3 weeks later! only owned it since 5th April (farmer was in a hurry due to the end of the tax year lol)

Did you just plant it in rows if you like? I was thinking of a fedge but wasnt sure how much work that would be?

Did you pick any particular varieties...? I know some are more attractive in winter.

My land is fairly exposed and windy so was hoping for something that gave shelter at least a little in winter. The soils is pretty free draining

But on a better not the planners have now decided if I move the stable along a little and soft screen it with trees it might be more acceptable - i find it mad that the view of drivers coming along the road takes precedent over the people who look out at it from their houses...moving it along will sit it nearly on the front of a dear neighbours house!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:49:28 pm »
We are at 1000' on a decidedly windy hill.  We initially planted the willow as a quick growing windbreak while our hedges grew, more slowly.  My father had a collection of about 60 willow varieties, so I took about 5 cuttings of each variety to see how they liked it here (he was in E Anglia, we are in Scotland).  Initially we rooted them in a trench, but you can stick them in direct.  If we were doing it again we would use larger bits to root, so we could get a good length in the ground, plus enough above ground to give a short trunk.  Most rooted extremely easily, some didn't take at all, and one type took several years to decide it was going to live.  So we have some varieties such as goat willow which at the moment is about 25 feet tall, there's intermediates such as fasciolated willow which grows to about 10', and in the garden we have an Arctic willow which is less than 2" high - that one doesn't give much protection from the wind  :D .
We planted them in three rows about 25' apart, across the prevailing wind direction, a similar distance back from our polytunnel and veg garden.  They were about 3' apart in the row, but this has since changed.  Some sheep got to them and killed off some, plus we coppiced alternate trees, and pollarded others, so we have various heights.  This fills in the whole height of the hedge, rather than having all the effect high up or low down.
You can lay a willow hedge, just as you would an ordinary field hedge, and this will also thicken the structure at the bottom.  Fedges and other ornamental plantings I think are fine for gardens and short term use, but you want a real windbreak/screen to hide a building.

For weaving the usual type of work, you use osier.  These can be coppiced or pollarded.  However, you can also use all types of willow, and some other flexible trees, to make 'hedgerow' baskets, mats etc, which are lovely and different to the usual run of baskets.  For those you use first year growth.

The various varieties of willow we have are great for bees.  They tend to flower over a long period, wheres a single variety will flower for a short period then there's nothing else for the wildlife.  We have big yellow 'pussies', small black ones, shiny silver ones, and many different forms and leaf types.  It all depends on if you like straight lines or a hotch-potch - I go for the hotch-potch  ;D   :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:52:24 pm by Fleecewife »

Eggucation

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:22:07 pm »
all fab information  - idont suppose you know the names of the varieties or where I can get such a nice mix bag as such?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:44 am »
Google thewillowbank.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 08:45:13 am »
I just had a look at that site Harmony.  They have ten different varieties of basket willow, so different colours for interesting basketwork, and they do 4 different lengths of cutting - I would go for the 3'.  It would be worth speaking with them Eggucation, to find out the ultimate height of these varieties and if they are suitable to grow to large trees.
Modified to add that I looked at the site again and they do other kits for screening, firewood etc.  One thing to mention is that very quickly you can take cuttings from your own stock, so you don't need to buy in large quantities.

I think our largest and quickest growing willow is Goat Willow, which grows all over the country, but it might not be.  I did note the names of all the varieties I got from my father, but the rooted plants got muddled up so I no longer have a way of telling.  My father made his collection over many years, asking landowners if he could take cuttings of unusual types, and no-one ever refused.

If you are ever north of the Border, you are welcome to come here and collect your own from any of our survivors.  We are about an hour north of Carlisle.

You can root willow at any time of year, although the ideal time for cutting them is when they have lost their leaves.  But willow roots so easily, even in a bucket of water, that you don't need to be precious with them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:50:37 am by Fleecewife »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:08:53 am »
I used them last year to put a hedge in for a friend. Bearing in mind that generally I know nothing about gardening I just bought the cuttings, planted them as advised and the results have been fantastic. Very few plants failed to take and anyway this year they can fill any gaps with cuttings from their own hedge.

They needed something "quick" and willow was ideal.

Eggucation

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
thank you so much for the help with willow....

does anyone have any advice on the position of poultry as an agricultural activity and therefore different in the eye of planning regarding the sheds and fencing they are saying are in breach of planning and therefore going to inform enforcement?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:47 pm »
Take a read here
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=84129.0
Poultry is agricultural obviously its a bit dependent on number

Just tell them your happy for a planning inspector to decide whats agricultural

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS