Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Piggy Venture  (Read 2128 times)

TringSaint

• Joined Sep 2017
New Piggy Venture
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:09:47 am »
Morning All,

Thought i would sign up to some relevant forums as i am starting the long painful process of buying a small farm and have seen lots of good advice on this forum.

Plan is to build up a rare breed piggy venture with a focus on charcuterie with a very british twist, so using all of my curing expertise built up over the past few years through processing both pigs and deer for personal enjoyment!

As for the name - location = Tring, rugby club = Northampton Saints!

Cheers
Steve

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: New Piggy Venture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 11:58:31 pm »
 :wave: welcome from Shropshire. Whereabouts are you buying your farm? I love piggies. :pig: :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have just been to pick up my pig meat today, including 19.5k of sausages.
Would be interested to hear more about your charcuterie
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

BobTheFarmer

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »
Sounds like a delicious plan!  Keep us updated :)

TringSaint

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:06:10 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have just been to pick up my pig meat today, including 19.5k of sausages.
Would be interested to hear more about your charcuterie

it all started by accident and a bit of curiosity really - i got bored one day and decided to make some bacon (which is a doddle) and then had a crack at black pudding (also a doddle and very messy) and my own sausages and then, as a result of shooting too many deer, started curing venison. I am all self taught, and so far have only screwed up one cure in 3 years (didnt salt a pork leg for long enough and it spoiled) and not managed to poison myself or anyone else yet, so must be doing something right!!

To date i have made:
Venison whole leg prosciutto (Fallow and Chinese Water Deer)
Venison brasaeola (cured loin)
Pancetta (properly cured so you can eat it raw)
Pork Lonzino / Lomo (with a variety of cures such as slow gin, honey, port, etc)
Venison saucisson sec
Venison coppa (well nearly - its as whole muscle stuffed into a middle runner casing)
plus i make venison sausage when i have sufficient off-cuts - last batch included wild mushroom and red wine, wild garlic and port & cranberry. My dad's favourite is my rabbit sausage - its fiddly to get the meat quantity (a lot of shooting needed) and it also needs pork in the from of a small bacon joint, but tastes cracking!
Duck and goose prosciutto (canada goose is not good for this - tastes awful!!)
Duck and goose confit
Rillettes of duck and goose
Hand raised pork / game pies

all for personal consumption, but my family and friends also eat well!

If you want to give it a go then now is the time - its not too hot and the relative humidity is about right. Can recommend Michael Ruhlman's books along with the River Cottage one.

the key thing you need is a set of digital scales down to 0.1g, as some of the measurements need to be bang on, i.e. prague powder - not good to guesstimate with this!!

any questions then PM me and i will be happy to help

Cheers
Steve

TringSaint

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:09:57 pm »
:wave: welcome from Shropshire. Whereabouts are you buying your farm? I love piggies. :pig: :pig:

Good question!!
Given the property prices here on the bucks / herts border, it certainly wont be here (unless i win the euromillions), so likely to be in the wilts / somerset / north devon / gloucs / hereford / worcs region - basically wherever i can get somewhere with c50 acres and a house that isnt a bomb sight for c£1M

lots of places available, so hopefully get something sorted first half of 2018

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
Thanks for the info Steve.
I did make some pancetta a couple of years ago on a course and it was very easy and great for carbonara and I did cure a legs of pork and left it hanging for 9 months.
It seems that everyone but me liked it so I gave it all away.

Good luck with your property search
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS