Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs Drinking  (Read 3766 times)

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
Pigs Drinking
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:00:04 am »
We have four x breed pigs and they don't seem to be drinking.

We have had them for about 8 weeks now and they seem healthy enough. Eating, active, vocal but their water trough hasn't gone down in about a week.

Their food is soaked, so they do get some water through that, but they don't seem to be taking in any more.

Any suggestions?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Pigs Drinking
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »
Well they must be getting some from somewhere. When I moved my sows into their pristine new farrowing pens they seemed reluctant to drink. I finally realised they were used to 'dirty' water from putting their snouts in after foraging. Straight from the nozzle clean water wasn't to their liking.  So if you have clean water, throw a handful of dirt in.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:29 pm »
Ours will often drink from filthy puddles right next to a drinker

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 04:22:55 pm »
Is their feed soaked because it's grain?  If so it will absorb a lot of water.  If not, why are you soaking it?  Are they getting lots of waste from the vegetable garden?  This will also contain a fair amount of water.  Pigs drink a lot in hot weather if they're active, or if they're lactating, but otherwise often only after a feed.  How fresh is the water?  I adhere to the maxim that you only offer water you'd be happy to drink yourself.  Something full of dead flies, or that has absorbed the taste of the container it's presented in, or has gone green in the sunlight, is not going to appeal to a pig.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 04:48:31 pm »
Pigs need lots of water and if they weren't getting enough after a week they would likely have salt poisoning. A lack of water intake will lead to them eating less.

One of the best ways to see if your pig is getting enough water is to check the poo. Small, hard droppings = lack of water.

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:20:18 am »
Thank you everyone for your help / advice!

The previous owners recommended feeding them a mixture of bran, flaked barley and pony nuts - which will need to be soaked. 

I'll have a look at the poo.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:22:29 am by aboud »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:57:49 am »
Many pig keepers use soaked feed for their pigs. I am not sure why someone would recommend feeding pony nuts to a pig. Apart from the cost is possibly less but the clue is in the label. The basic ingredients might well be the same but the additives will be different and the needs of a growing pig will vary enormously from that of a pony.

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 01:41:06 pm »
The pigs have been / are kept as pets and I think the plan was to keep their weight down. 
Would you recommend something else? 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »
What exactly is their breeding?

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:09 am »
Iron Age x Kune Kune x Pot Bellied x Wild Boar! 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:45 am »
Ok, so not micro pigs but going to be pets? So, don't need to be fed to be a finished carcase but still need everything a pig needs to be healthy. A pig not going to slaughter still has a daily requirement of nutrients to grow properly and be healthy. I don't think pony nuts is going to achieve that requirement and barley is used for fattening animals so I don't understand this combination " for keeping the weight down". Wheat bran is also good for fattening pigs I think but perhaps you mean the bran you buy that is used to bulk out feed and was once fed to horses a lot until people realised there was better things to bulk out feed.

Personally, I would feed pig nuts.

Are they all the same sex?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS