Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor recommendations  (Read 3105 times)

J D

• Joined Oct 2012
  • East Ayrshire
Tractor recommendations
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:51:34 pm »
My husband and i have a 15 acre smallholding.  We are considering  buying a small second hand tractor for topping grass and other jobs around the farm. We have seen a 24HP kabuta compact, a ten year old b2410, but are unsure if this will be up to the job.  Does anyone have any experience of this tractor? 

The land is split and we have a few pigs and sheep on half of it.  Longer term we are looking to expand the sheep.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Tractor recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:19 pm »
tricky, i have a 68Hp zetor and not sure i'd want to go smaller on our 15 acres. Only cost us £1500, although we have probably spent as much on it again in the last two years

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:01 am »
You will find smaller "commercial" tractors far better value than what my OH calls "toybox" tractors at toybox money.  We run an old Ford 6640 for our 15 acres.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:43:39 am »

It is tricky Not to big so it is useful around the yard not to small that it can't do what you want
   Do you want need a loader  are your shed barn doors high and wide so many things to consider
   Not just the HP or vintage or new  if you go vintage don't forget your old inch spanners.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »
i'd be wary about anything that couldn't lift 1 ton up front, minimum 1/2 ton for bulk feed bags but if you get building aggregates they'll weigh 1 ton, my tractor only just manages.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »
I have a 30hp 1958 Dexta which does most jobs around our croft (mowing, baling (if on the flat!), ploughing, towing trailer etc).  It is light so doesn't damage the ground much and is fun to use. The only thing it doesn't do is front loader work. 

For loader work (to lift at least 600kg bags preferably 1ton) you need something a lot bigger, not so much for power but for weight to keep everything stable.  I had a bit of bother recently lifting a concrete panel off a trailer, got if half off when the back wheels came off the ground which meant my other 2wd (60hp)tractor couldn't go back or forward and I couldn't lower it back onto the trailer. 

J D

• Joined Oct 2012
  • East Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:28 am »
Thanks for  all the comments.  You have pretty much confirmed what we were thinking. 

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
Just wondering, what did you get in the end?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS