Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to calving! Advice please!  (Read 3952 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
New to calving! Advice please!
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:13:51 am »
My Red Ruby Devon Heifer's are in calf and due to calve Mid July.
I'm new to keeping cattle and would appreciate some advice on:
Feeding, and what equipment to have on hand and what to be on the look out for.
I'm hoping it will be ok for them to calve outside as they have been turned out for the summer.
They are primarily grass fed, and have been indoors on hay and with a mineral bucket through the winter until the end of April when I turned the out.

Any advice much appreciated!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: New to calving! Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »
Essentials for calving- vets phone number, colostrum, stomach tube & bag, somewhere to pen them up if problems arise- heifers can sometimes need a bit of time in a pen alone to mother up, likewise if you need the vet it's good to bring in if you can. Calving ropes/jack always useful to have as is lube. 

We give every calf Calf Start Rotapaste which is optional but find our calves get up quicker having had a tube. We also have a Moocall calving detector which is fantastic but probably not worth having on a small herd.

Aside from that it's best to leave alone and only really step in if there's problems. They will slacken off behind and draw up in the week(s) leading up to calving and their pins will drop 24hrs before calving but heifers can sometimes drop a calf without drawing up much. Good luck :) :D

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:46 pm »
No feeding grass only and not lots of that  , better  fit but not fat which I know is difficult while grazing  maybe a high mag bucket  .      You need the vet or an experienced friend/ neighbour  on  your phone so that you can ask questions and get help if needed ,  any equipment you might need the vet should have  eg calving jack  and ropes ,  colostrum and stomach tube .   Im sure you've read  and watched you tube for signs of and cows calving .   Hopefully you will wake up one morning to a new born up and suckled  .       Look up summer mastitis and be aware of it          Be aware that  at calving cattle can change how they act and can  be dangerously  protective so keep children and DOGS  away until you are happy she is quiet
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:58:31 pm by shep53 »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:19:42 pm »
Have you seen calving or lambing before? Get on youtube and watch loads, get a feel for what "normal" can look like.
In terms of signs to watch for, it varies by individual but in general watch for restlessness, annoyance / pain, separating self from herd for privacy. Later on look for water bag. Try and see which bit of the calf is poking out. If you see two feet the right way up, leave her to get on with it. If you see something wrong (feet upside down, back feet, bum) get help asap - it will take time for experienced help to arrive.
You'll need some way to restrain her if she does need help - but bear in mind you need to be able to release her if she goes down.
First timers often have a "WHAT THE **** IS THAT" moment. They seem to settle down once the calf suckles, but she might need restraining and the calf might need guiding in to the udder. Beware kicks from the cow!

I think it's worth agreeing a rundown / action plan with someone. E.g. "Ring vet to notify labour has begun. If no progress in x number hours, call again. If presentation looks wrong, call immediately." Doesn't necessarily have to be vet.

Are you all sorted with iodine for navel, castration rings if using them,  tagging equipment?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:50:12 pm »
If you are lucky you will need to do nothing  but count the extra beasts in the field each day like we did our first year. . Please don't buy stuff like calving jack's .... These should only be used by experienced calvers.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:15 pm »
Thank you everyone.
I already have ropes, colostrum, lube, iodine and just need to order tags!
Vet is very good and knows of the situation.
So it sounds like I'm half way there.
I have been on YouTube watching various videos, just would be nice to experience the real thing now.
Thanks everyone for your advice, that's put my mind at rest. Fingers crossed all goes well!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 07:55:07 am »
Disposable gloves and scruffy clothing?

There is a LOT of fluid and everything else involved!

Also, if the calf is not breathing when it comes out, get your vet to explain to you what to do, there is an escalating series of things to try. If you get down the list, put put some force into it. You can't make it *more* dead, so don't be too worried about hurting it with chest compressions.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 08:16:57 pm »
If you are lucky you will need to do nothing  but count the extra beasts in the field each day like we did our first year. . Please don't buy stuff like calving jack's .... These should only be used by experienced calvers.

Agreed! I'm sure you'll be fine Faye and everything will be ok. :fc:

If you are around when the feet start to come out, then I find that (after checking they are right way up!) the best thing to do is to go and make yourself a drink. The 20 mins or so it takes is just about right. It takes you away from the cow at a time when she probably prefers to be on her own to get on with it, and it's not too long for something terminal to happen. When you get back you can then assess if all looks ok, or if maybe she needs a bit of help. If that's the case and you need to give her a hand then use plenty of lubricant - squeeze it in all over the head and as far in as possible. It really does make dragging the calf out a lot easier. But most cows manage on their own, and hopefully your's will too. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:50:02 pm »
On Tuesday a beautiful (and very big!) bull calf was born. Presented the right way, and after seeming exhausted after 20 mins of pushing, we assisted to pull the calf out.
the 'WHAT THE F**** IS THAT?!' moment definitely occurred for a split second, and then mothering instinct kicked in and all has been well.
They are out on grass but the dreaded rain has been falling!
Hope he doesn't get too sodden poor little mite.

Thanks all for your advice, it really helped prepare me and thankfully all went well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:00:33 pm »
Congratulations  :)

Pictures would be most welcome   :eyelashes:

As to the rain... Ruby Reds are pretty hardy, nonetheless, young calves need to be dry.  Is there shelter mum can pop him in/under?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:45:36 pm »
Cows are pretty clever and tuck their calves into the hedge. Had a couple born the last few weeks and had heavy rain 12-24hrs after birth they didn't really bat an eyelid. It's not cold at the moment unlike winter when calves really don't do well in the wet and wind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS