Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding potato plants  (Read 13402 times)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
Feeding potato plants
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »
I've just harvested my early potatoes and was wondering if I can give the plants (stems, leaves etc) to the pig.  I know that green potatoes can be poisonous and I have a vague  recollection of hearing that the stems can also be poisonous so I thought I'd see if anybody else knows.

Cheers guys

Re: Feeding potato plants
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
No Dont.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »
very short answer ???
Langdon ;)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »
Sorry, Yes it was a short answer - I will rephrase:

No Don't do it  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:34:53 am »
Personally I wouldnt even feed raw potatoes.  One of my customers lost a really lovely sow because she choked on one.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:57:56 am »
Bloody hell, as no one really gave a reason I did some research and apparently they can kill you!

Admittedly its only from WikiAnswers but it does seem right;

"Yes, they are poisonous. Potato leaves, flowers, sprouts and green or "sun-scalded" potatoes contain a glycoalkaloid that is a natural defense mechanism to protect the plant from predators. I believe the name of the glycoalkaloid is solanine, and is also found in the leaves of tomatoes. I do not advise this, but you can leave a potato in the sunlight for some days until it turns green. Then cook and eat it. You probably won't die, but the headache you'll get might make you wish you had. Solanine toxic effects tarket the gastrointestinal, liver, heart. Eating potato leaves can, in fact, kill you. "

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:10:45 am »
Hi
We don't feed potato tops, sugar beet tops or parsnip tops to any of our pigs as although not life threateningly poisonous they will as i understand make them exceedingly poorly.
We only feed raw potatos shredded up to our older stock never fatteners ( their digestive system can't cope) and we never give parsnips to pregnant pigs, think i read this in Andy Case's book as too much can cause miscarriage. In fact he has a good list of 'wild' food do's and don't in his book.
HTH

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »
Hence:

No Don't do it
;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:23 pm »
thats better ;D
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS