Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Car Tyre Chicken Coop?  (Read 2809 times)

danccooke

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Maesycrugiau, West Wales
Car Tyre Chicken Coop?
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:28:07 pm »
Hi,
I always like to recycle things and especially if there is a way of doing something for free other than some man power.  Has anyone ever contemplated or made a chicken coop from old car tyres.

I am thinking the sheer weight of tyres will mean they don't need to be filled with earth as you would if you were making a retaining wall or house.   From years of being a motor-sport marshal I know these things hold up pretty well.   I know i can get loads of tyres for free as the garages have to pay to have the used tyres taken away and scrapped.    I can build a proper door frame and door and even pop holes but the main structure could be tyres with just a few bolts being the expense??

Am I being a dreamer or do you think this is doable.

Dan

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: Car Tyre Chicken Coop?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:08:15 pm »
Nothing wrong with dreaming Dan thats how some of the best ideas come about I would go for it mate and keep us posted on the progress/finished project.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:29 pm »
Like how outside box this is! No idea how to make it, but will watch with interest.

danccooke

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »
Well at least that wasn't a don't be stupid :-)
I need to draw a rough plan before getting go ahead to begin from the other half.   Currently I can see it in my head.   I'll keep you posted as to if it get the go ahead.

danccooke

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 12:02:19 am »
Mrs thinks it'll be impossible to keep clean. Looks like it's a non-flyer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:42 am »
As someone whose farmyard looked like a shanty town with coops made from old fireguards through pallets to puppy cage panels to house poultry through last Winter I'd not dismiss anything as a building material.  If you're talking about a low coop on a solid sheet of flooring and a lift-off lid roof and some kind of secure door for night-time, for hens that will free range during the day, then why not?  The coop will have a huge footprint for the size of accommodation but, again, why not?  Just be aware it will absorb a lot of heat in the summer and also need a gap at the top to allow air flow through.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:27 am »
Personally I'd be a bit concerned about the chemicals in tyres such as polycyclic hydrocarbons (PAHs) etc. If the tyres get warm in the sun, I wouldn't want the chickens breating in that rubbery smell if you intend to eat the chickens or eggs.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

danccooke

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:24 am »
Idea has been canned. :) it was an idea.  Once drawn and considerations taken on board for cleaning etc.  I'll just have to build a traditional coop.  How passé ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS