Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dosing gun?  (Read 2300 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Dosing gun?
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:28:50 am »
Hi, I'm just wondering how you give wormer to goats. Up till now I've used a large syringe which is usually used for tubing lambs/kids. Farmer friend said the nozzle could harm goats throat.
Any thoughts please?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Dosing gun?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:42:31 am »
Suppose it might if you pushed it down their throst too harshly.

I use one of these nozzles
  http://www.coxagri.com/drenchers-vaccinators/drenchers/labelvage-dosing-nozzle-
on one of these  syringes
   http://www.coxagri.com/drenchers-vaccinators/syringes/demaplast-syringe-luer-lock-50ml
if I was ordering again I'd go for a smaller syringe, 50ml is more than I need and I can't do small doses accurately enough so still use an ordinary plastic syringe for those.
I've also been given a very smart good quality metal dosing gun  which is much quicker for doing lots of animals with the same dose.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:17 am »
You can buy individual dosing syringes from Fearings I think, they have an interchangeable nozzle or needle set-up. 50ml, 20ml or 10 ml last time I looked. Very handy also for injection of Calciject when you have a large volume to do... you have to buy the nozzle separately.

http://www.fearing.co.uk/cattle/cattle-health/syringes/re-useable-syringe

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:07 am »
You can get really cheap worming guns from China off ebay. Well worth getting the real thing as it makes life a lot easier.
Or I sometimes put the required amount of wormer in food or water. Panacur is best added to food as it isn't very palatable. But such as Ivomec is eaten/drunk quite readily. If I'm doing it this way, I usually give the required dose over 3 days.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:13 am »
I usually give the required dose over 3 days.

Just thinking aloud here - I know Panacur small animal wormer needs daily doses for three days, but what about others? If the wormer is supposed to be toxic to worms, is it not important to give it in one dose?

For example, if you wanted to poison me with alcohol, a couple of bottles of whisky should do it. However, if you spread that treatment out over three days, that sounds more like a good party!  ;)

BTW, for small numbers, I also use the reusable syringes (I have them in different sizes) plus a dosing nozzle. For more than about ten, it's worth setting up the proper drenching gun with the tube though. You can avoid waste by squirting the tube contents into another bottle once you're done, and saving the contents until next time  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
Yes you're right in what you say Womble. However some years ago you could get Panacur worming buckets which you gave the relevant animals access to for about a month. I only ever used one once (on my sheep) as the buckets went out of favour, but it did cure a worm resistance that I had at the time. From that I concluded that hitting the worms for an extended length of time was actually more effective than a once off dose. Not very scientific, I accept, but I didn't have the facilities for a full scale double blind, peer related trial. The system worked for me, so I was happy. :thumbsup:

In addition, the safe margin for Panacur is very high. (You can look it up.) So, having read that for small animals, (and for equines) Panacur should be given over several days, I often administer it to my animals in this way also.

(This isn't an opening for another lecture on faecal egg counts and worm resistance etc  :innocent: . Just bear in mind folks that this is a forum and the question asked was "How do you give wormer?"  I have merely answered the question. :sunshine: )

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:04:52 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »
You can buy individual dosing syringes from Fearings I think, they have an interchangeable nozzle or needle set-up. 50ml, 20ml or 10 ml last time I looked. Very handy also for injection of Calciject when you have a large volume to do... you have to buy the nozzle separately.

I've looked at these before, I can't seem to find the nozzles for sale?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »

I've looked at these before, I can't seem to find the nozzles for sale?

If you scroll down in the "size" box, the last one is the nozzle, sold separately... took me a moment to remember....

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:48 pm »
Used to use syringes but as the number of goats increases it becomes a pain
Now use a drenching gun which has a rubber attachment that comes
with copper bolus so less chance of injury.

Its great rarely need to to put it that far in throat  just pull trigger and its done,
once you have tried it i doubt you would go back.
Also if you turn container up before you deliver last couple of doses then you do not have issues
with left overs in pipe.

Still syringe youngest kids

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:10 pm »
Thanks Anke, don't know why I didn't see that.

Dogwalker, looks similar to Anke's suggestion and it looks like there is a local supplier, who we deal with so I'll pop in and see them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:16:15 pm by penninehillbilly »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS