Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS porker weights  (Read 1543 times)

Jamesh

• Joined Dec 2016
GOS porker weights
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:54:05 pm »
Hi Folks,
I appreciate this is a well covered topic but was interested in some current real world information.
What weight do you take your porkers to (deadweight) and what age (weeks?) are they at this juncture.
I know the end weight will vary depending on the market/end consumer you have for them, but also interested how this factors in.

Ta very much, very interested to compare what other GOS breeders are doing as these are my first home bred bunch

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: GOS porker weights
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
To me the final weight is not a prime consideration.  If appropriate housing, clean conditions, sufficient room, unlimited clean water, shade and protection from harsh weather are taken as a given then if they were a good size at birth, have a healthy dam producing plenty of milk, have started eating their dam's 16% protein sow & weaner nuts from an early age, are left in familiar surroundings while the dam is moved at weaning at 8 weeks and given as much feed as they can polish off in 20 minutes at first, gradually reducing to ten minutes as they approach finishing, then they will be what they will be.  Boars go in at 22 weeks, gilts at 24.  They will have plenty of meat, enough fat for good crackling and superb flavour.

Jamesh

• Joined Dec 2016
Re: GOS porker weights
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »
Thanks! So with all that said and done (and it is, albeit we mill our own feed on site). To answer to question, what sort of average size are they when you take them off at that age?
I was just interested in some points of reference.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS