Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broad Beans for the Freezer  (Read 2410 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Broad Beans for the Freezer
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:17:57 pm »
Not a vegetable I usually grow but will do now again I've found that rabbits don't like 'em.  Got a bumper crop too.  How do you prepare them for the freezer, though....?

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Broad Beans for the Freezer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:48:02 pm »
I just shell them and freeze. The books suggest blanching briefly first but having tried this I don't find it improves the storability -p'raps modern freezers are cool enough to prevent them degrading. It also makes them all stick together which is a pain.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:06:25 pm »
so easy to freeze- I grow loads along with peas precisely because of this. ive always blanched them cos my mum told me to- I avoid sticking together by making regular trips to the freezer while they're going solid and giving the bags a good ruffle

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:52:15 pm »
I think rather than degradation, the main benefit of blanching is to minimise loss of flavour.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
I always blanch then freeze broad beans, as they then last longer in the freezer.  To stop them sticking together, dry them after cooling, put them loosely in their bag, then lay the bags out flat on a tray in the freezer.  Once they are frozen, shake the bag, extract air and get them back in the freezer.  This gives a 'pouring pack' like you get with Birds Eye peas, and you can take as many or as few as you need .

The main trick with broad beans is to pick them young.  If the scar on the bean is anything but green, then don't bother - it's old and chewy.  At the start of the season you can also eat the whole tiny pods as mangetout.  I've not tried freezing them at that stage as they're more as a one-off treat
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:00:12 pm »
We don't blanch, just shell and put in plastic bag, squeeze air out and clip it round top. That way we just open bag and keep adding as they ripen. Easy

So many ideas, not enough hours

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:23:31 am »
Broad beans should be blanched prior to freezing for 2 reasons.
1. to deactivate the enzymes which may lead to off flavours developing under some circumstances.
2. to ensure that the microbiological lode is reduced to acceptable levels- particularly important for any veg taken from freezer and defrosted and incorporated into a cold dish. e.g. mixed with any form of dressing- a few hours in the hot sun then equals food poisoning if the initial lode is high.

TO ensure any veg remains free flowing after blanching and cooling then put it in salad spinner which will remove sufficient surface water then freeze on trays before transferring to bags.

Regen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS