Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Massively overgrown land query  (Read 6787 times)

listerlovescurry

• Joined Jul 2014
Massively overgrown land query
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:28 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

We're new to the topic of smallholding and are looking for some pearls of wisdom!

Please can I ask if anyone has had the experience of buying a very overgrown/very rundown smallholding that needed completely clearing before starting from scratch?

Unfortunately, we aren't in the financial position to afford anything close to all done & ready to go in our area (or in neighbouring counties) - so we feel the only option we have currently is to buy a project as anything else is way too expensive (we can't relocate due to dh's work/other family commitments) :-\

So,  with that in mind,  I have a couple or three beginners questions if I may?! 

- What would be the best method to clear & restore up to 10 acres of pasture that had been left for many years to become mostly inaccessible & totally overgrown with trees, bushes, giant weeds, thorns etc?

- Roughly how long would it take for almost 10 acres of such overgrown land to recover to the point where it could be potentially used for a small number of livestock and grow some veg - organic if possible?

We've recently seen a plot that is surrounded by good productive agricultural land on all surrounding sides, but the plot itself is like a mad crazy neglected jungle that needs to be tamed!

Is it even a doable prospect for beginners??!! I grew up working on farms with horses, sheep, pigs, poultry & goats, but haven't owned/run a smallholding. We wouldn't want anything too big for ourselves - but we would have a longer term aim to supplement income with a small camping/glamping (or similar) business on part of the land - hence why we would like the extra acreage.

Lastly, does anyone have any links or recommendations for books, blogs, You Tube channels etc, by people who have done something like this successfully?

Advice would be very much appreciated - thanks so much for your patience with a complete novice newbie! ;D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Massively overgrown land query
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:50:58 pm »
Hopefully the area is fenced.  I would tightly strip graze a few ponies or cattle.  I did this on a neglected field and by the end of 3 winters and 2 summers I was back to a nice productive bit of land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:12:14 pm »
our plot was overgrown when we took it on. Its about 3 acres. We had lots of friends over for the weekend and they brought all their tools - about 10 of us altogether. Between us we hedge cut, strimmed/brush cuttered and chain sawed through about 2/3 of it, the rest we did over the next few weeks.
2 years on we are still having to treat large stands of nettles and some creeping thistles each year and mow but it improves each year. We've nearly finished fencing and will get sheep to reduce mowing this summer.
We have inc.d the size of the veg plot each year and I sell veg boxes which cover all our smallholding costs.
It takes sone time -I had 2 years working on it full time including doing up the property to make it habitable and have just gone back to work half time- feels like a rest ;)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:54:58 am »
How many trees and how big are they?  You can't cut down trees that are over 8cm diameter at breast height, will nilly - you can only cut 5 cubic metres per calendar quarter, otherwise you need to apply for a felling license and that will involve you replanting (which you probably don't want to do).
For all the other scrub, the quickest way is to get a man in with a digger, and scrape all the vegetation away.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:56:19 pm »
How many trees and how big are they?  You can't cut down trees that are over 8cm diameter at breast height, will nilly - you can only cut 5 cubic metres per calendar quarter, otherwise you need to apply for a felling license and that will involve you replanting (which you probably don't want to do).
For all the other scrub, the quickest way is to get a man in with a digger, and scrape all the vegetation away.

I'm sure you're correct in this Foobar - but surely no one is going to notice and come measuring unless you are obviously cutting down a 10 acre wood?
In the event that the trees are really well established and well grown, then you could graze the plot with goats and/or donkeys who will kindly bark the trees for you and kill them, as well as clearing the scrub fairly well. Or failing that you could bark them yourself to kill them and blame the local rabbits and deer.

We recently bought a 9 acre field that was very overgrown with gorse bushes and brambles. We did get a man in with a JCB for a few days to clear some of it. It wasn't too expensive and gave us a good start. He put all the wood and scrub in a pile and we burnt it. We then grazed it with Highland cattle and they made a pretty good job of the rest. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:37:20 am »
To me it all depends on what standard you are trying to achieve. ie are you looking for perm pasture or something for the cut or maybe something in the middle?

Try contacting your local machinery ring for the best costs, but other than the trees - Foobar is right - the rest could be either just mulched by heavy flail, or sprayed and then taken back. From there you are best to sort out your fencing and any drainage issues, then cultivate to form your seed bed, but most importantly of all get your land tested to find out what it needs, this will save a load of money in the long run.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »
I bought a flail mower at a good price, I cut an acre with this in a couple of hours.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »
Its probably possible to do the first cut yourself with a chainsaw and strimmer - but its will need cutting 3 times a year for the next 4 years - but it does get easier as you go.

You are also only allowed camping on agri land for 28 days then 4 days break then another 28 days without planning to accommodation land - so you have to hit the season hard to survive.

You may want to consider joining the camping and caravan club - but you will need facilities for caravans - but it does give you permission to have upto 5 units on your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:10 am »
As I understand it, unless it's changed recently, you are allowed 28 days camping per year,

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »
Hello Lister - whereabouts in the UK are you?  I known of a few loopholes to the 28 day rule if you're in Scotland??

Lynn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS