Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep poo  (Read 10818 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Sheep poo
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »
I look forward to investigative poo kicking.  :D
Be careful of your toes when trying this in winter as frozen to the ground sheep poo is flippin solid.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38:55 pm »
Why would you pick any animals poo off the field???
I would do exactly the same thing with horses!
Can you imagine dairy farmer with 200 goes picking their poo every time they went out in the field?
Obviously if you keep them in a tiny paddock with no rotation you would probably pick their poo and put it in compost etc

Picking up horse poo or harrowing fields to break it up is because horses tend to poo in the same places then they don't graze those areas so you get long ungrazed areas in horse paddocks. Lots of people keep horses in too small an area and have limited access to grazing so poo picking is recommended horse pasture management.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 11:11:51 pm »
Be careful of your toes when trying this in winter as frozen to the ground sheep poo is flippin solid.

Equally be extra careful when strimming thistles in fields where the sheep have been  :poo: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »

Equally be extra careful when strimming thistles in fields where the sheep have been  :poo: .

It's worse with dogs and frogs  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »
Nope.
Poo picking for any animal is madness, correct husbandry and rotation is the answer, poo picking just means your soil gets raped, ends up deficient and full of weeds, and masks an underlying problem with your animal husbandry, which over time still catches up with you.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »
Friend of mine (recently bought first land they have ever had) has had a very nice soil analysis done. Says amongst other things it is too alkali and needs sulphur spread on it. Correct I am sure. But kinda obvious given you can see the chalk dust everywhere as it is so dry and chalky. So what do you get if you spread sulphur on chalk?  Calcium sulphate I guess. Not soil. My guess is a nice layer of sheep poo would start to modify the pH and add some soil structure.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 08:22:17 am »
Thanks for all your replies.  Nice to see differing methods too.  Gives a nice rounded view and helps to get a better understanding of various elements I might not have thought of before.

I'm also glad I'm asking now before a single hoof has touched the ground... including my own!  Still waiting for the final contract on the smallholding (but getting very excited in the meantime as the day draws closer).  I'm starting to get a much better idea of what we need to do, and very glad to be learning in advance, rather than "fire fighting" later.  Very grateful to you all.  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS