Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nice shetlands  (Read 2058 times)

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
Nice shetlands
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:04:13 am »
I visited a breeder in Berkshire who had really very friendly Shetlands. I mean, they didn't run away from us, at least!

I wonder if others find that Shetlands are friendly enough to make bribery work for getting them in for routine stuff like worming/feet, etc.

I didn't think they looked especially "flighty" and yet I'd heard this about them! And the colours are fantastic. She only really had wethers left but their little horns didn't look like they'd grow to be too menacing.

Do others find shetlands scatty? I just didn't get that sense!

Marti

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Nice shetlands
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:07:51 am »
They are not scatty.... they are clever. If they do not want to come into a pen for feeding, they won't...

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:04:29 am »
Perfectly reasonable. Sounds like my dorper x wiltshire horns. I had one that sized up any situation. Right now, I have a very pushy old ewe who makes her own decisions about most things.

Here she is deciding whether or not to push the dog away from her field shelter.

Behind, you can see the long grass and lush state of my pasture!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:50 am »
Of all the Primitives, I find the Shetlands the easiest to handle.  They are very readily tamed to a bucket, being rather a greedy breed.  It's quite simple to train sheep to be fed inside a pen, which you originally leave open, then when they are used to that, you occasionally close it when they are in, do nothing to them, then let them out.  When you actually want to work with them, just keep the pen closed.  They will remember next time and be wary, but a few more feeds with no handling will get them used to the system.
Shetlands can be used to tame other breeds such as Hebs, but if you have a freaky Soay she will remain freaky and lead the getaway.
As with all sheep, their ease of handling depends on how you handle them.  Lots of running and shouting and your sheep will also run and shout; keep calm and act calmly and they will follow suit.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »
Absolutely agree with Fleecewife. My shetlands are bucket trained and easy to handle.
Like any animals, their characters can vary and some are more flighty or nervous than others .... and some so confident they'll mug me for first dibs at the bucket! It's interesting too that a more flighty ewe can rear a very laid back lamb and vice versa.
I also subscribe to the view that if you're calm around them, they'll be calmer too.

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:03 pm »
I have had shetlands now for a year. To start with, they all were very timid and wouldn't come near me, even for food!!

We then had an outbreak of foot rot and the only way we could catch them was to run them down once their feet got really bad. After about 8 months of feeding everyday in a pen, i was able to catch them all first time. We've had a few hiccups when they realise something is going on, when the other half comes to give me a hand, but if I'm alone I can get them first time. I now call my partner once all the sheep are caught. He has to park about half a mile away otherwise they can hear his engine which means we have to take 2 vehicles.

The Shetlands have all got such a wonderful temperament and all have their own amazing personalities. I get mugged as soon as I step in the field by 6 out of 8 ewes who jump up like dogs!! Fair to say mine are now very tame!!

Oh, and one is a biter! When I shear or roo her she bites behind my knees!  All good fun.

If you decide to get some, enjoy them! And persevere? with the bucket training!! Feed in a pen everyday! 

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:30:30 pm »
What a great story, Lorenza!

I ended up getting Ryelands (they arrive on Saturday) but I really did like the Shetlands! :) Glad yours have calmed down nicely.

How old were they when you got them? I am guessing they hadn't been handled much.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 05:26:35 pm »
Our Shetlands are like dogs!  Very friendly indeed...

(plenty of pics and videos on our fb page - the smiling sheep -  :innocent:)

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:13 pm »
I love that photo!

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:04:07 am »
Hi Marti615.
 I bought a mixture of ages. I have some that were shearlings right up to 8 years old and have had their last lambs this year! Being so greedy and now 9 they have lost a few teeth so it's goodbye in September!! For me, this was the cheapest way to start my flock knowing that the older ones would only have a year with me. Good luck with  your ryelands

Lorenza

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS