Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat wanted - Herefordshire - companion for my AN  (Read 1693 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Goat wanted - Herefordshire - companion for my AN
« on: June 18, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a goat as a companion for my five year old AN, Eve - and thought I'd ask here first (and my local Hereforsdshire Goat Club) first as this has always been such a trustworthy supportive forum. Ideally somewhere not too far away - Midlands / Wales...

Eve has been on her own now for twelve months since we lost her sister (I know, not great - long story about indecision re a second goat, then the girl we were supposed to be having falling through due to TB + test and a standstill at that farm). I spend as much time with her as I can, and she hangs out with our runner ducks) but I need to get her a companion. She suffers from laminitis which means I have to limit her time out - even though we have a good couple of acres for roaming - and I walk her around another few acres of apple orchard most days.

Ideally I am looking for a person-friendly goat - who can't have horns as Eve doesn't. Not fussed about breed, age or sex, just ideally a fairly friendly goat. And not in milk - just looking for a pet really. Or I guess maybe a goat to be dried off - I can milk so it would be an option.... but work most evenings so would only be able to milk once a day.

I will attach a photo of Eve, she is quite big (my OH there for scale) and a bit circumspect and fond of butting - so perhaps not a very small goat or young kid...

Any thoughts very welcome...

Charlotte
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:01:20 pm by Tree Farmer »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat wanted - Herefordshire - companion for my AN
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
I wouldn't pair her up with an older goat, a goatling would probably be better. Less likely to be serious issues re submission by younger goat...

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Thank you Anke - I appreciate that - I have never introduced two goats before - Eve and her sister came together. Thank you...

Peter and Timmys mum

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:18 am »
Hi,  I have some goats I need to rehome,  very friendly, I don't know if any would be of interest to you?

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
Thank you so much but we are sorted now - a mother and son arriving this week actually. Thank you xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS