Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guernsey Milk  (Read 8830 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Guernsey Milk
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »
This post is really just an observation but I thought maybe was worthy of discussion.
OK, its been a week now since we purchased a most adorable Guernsey lady in milk.

Her milk is beautiful and very creamy and so far this week i have made just about everything you can think of that uses milk or cream or the butter that I've also been making.

Anyway hubby made porridge for breakfast yesterday, a treat usually only cooked on a Sunday morning when we eat it with honey and cream poorer over it. The porridge yesterday was made with full fat Guernsey milk, we ate it without the need for extra cream and only a very little bit of honey and hubby usually then follows breakfast with a slice of toast, invariably a slice of cake or bun or biscuit and then a bag of crisps with tensies to tide him over till lunch.

Yesterday he commented that he felt stuffed right up to lunchtime, and I have noticed that all week he has grazed much much less between meals.

My thought is that as children we all drank full fat milk with cream on the top and didn't need to eat between meals, but that now supermarket milk is pasturised, homogenised and standardised it is far less filling than in the past and this in turn results in children eating/snacking on less than healthy foods throughout the day.
Could a change back to fatter milk help the nations obesity crisis?

Open for discussion and thoughts????  :thinking:

So many ideas, not enough hours

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Guernsey Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:48:24 pm »
Oh how I miss our GG's  ( goats ), many years ago we had quite a herd an lots of milk, brilliant in coffee , skimmed it for dogs and the cream for deserts and especially ice cream, butter, pure white butter that never lasted long due to the urge for toast and tea with... yes you've guessed it  Cheese, hard and soft . Did I mention ice cream ?
The only side effect was an enlarged right hand bicep from working the seperator / butter churn,  happy days
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:44:44 pm by Rupert the bear »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
I have no doubt that the the whole 'reduce fat' message has led to increased snacking and more consumption of empty carbs and fruit. It's a shame that we can't buy raw, whole milk.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »
Hadn't thought about it but since I've started having porridge with milk from my goat, I don't need to snack and I don't often want lunch that early.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »
We have two Shetland cows in milk now - obviously they don't yield like a Guernsey but we're taking over 10litres a day. I don't make butter but we make cheese and drink a lot of milk and yes, I don't snack as much.

Sadly the publicity around "full-fat" milk is pretty much nonsense - compared to a lot of foods, 4 or 5 % fat is low.

There's also growing evidence that raw milk has health benefits.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:13:51 pm »
In Leicestershire I know several dairy farms that's sell are milk. They even have sign on the road saying "we sell fresh raw milk"!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 02:38:45 pm »
In Leicestershire I know several dairy farms that's sell are milk. They even have sign on the road saying "we sell fresh raw milk"!

In Scotland the sale of raw milk (of any kind) is illegal, and it is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future... somehow the government (and more importantly the Scottish Food standards people) have a real grudge against raw milk (and raw milk cheese for that matter).... that's the main reason I started to keep goats. We all drink it - all the time. On hot days I often skip lunch and only have a large glass of milk or two... I now cannot bear the taste of supermarket milk at all... no idea if I would be slimmer with shop-bought milk or not, we have now had our own for 8 years...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »
This post is really just an observation but I thought maybe was worthy of discussion.
OK, its been a week now since we purchased a most adorable Guernsey lady in milk.

Her milk is beautiful and very creamy and so far this week i have made just about everything you can think of that uses milk or cream or the butter that I've also been making.

Anyway hubby made porridge for breakfast yesterday, a treat usually only cooked on a Sunday morning when we eat it with honey and cream poorer over it. The porridge yesterday was made with full fat Guernsey milk, we ate it without the need for extra cream and only a very little bit of honey and hubby usually then follows breakfast with a slice of toast, invariably a slice of cake or bun or biscuit and then a bag of crisps with tensies to tide him over till lunch.

Yesterday he commented that he felt stuffed right up to lunchtime, and I have noticed that all week he has grazed much much less between meals.

My thought is that as children we all drank full fat milk with cream on the top and didn't need to eat between meals, but that now supermarket milk is pasturised, homogenised and standardised it is far less filling than in the past and this in turn results in children eating/snacking on less than healthy foods throughout the day.
Could a change back to fatter milk help the nations obesity crisis?

Open for discussion and thoughts????  :thinking:

I agree completely with you here. Buffalo milk on porridge, being 8% butterfat, is also very filling and I can easily skip lunch after having it for breakfast. Guernsey is between 5-7%, I think, very good for cheesemaker and also, in case you may not have known, the British Guernsey ( or rather original breed Guernsey kept vastly in Britain) has A2 milk, whereas the American breed of Guernsey has A1. There is a guy up the road from me who keeps em. Full fat rests quite heavily on the stomach and not only fills you up but makes you very sleepy too. Raw milk is the best for all the benefit of vitamins and pasteurisation actually changes the milk structure, some people who are indeed cows milk intolerant (not to be confused with lactose intolerant meaning intolerant to any animal milk product, all milk containing lactose) can actually be intolerant to the pasturisation process and not the milk itself. Sadly in Scotland raw milk is illegal (as listed above). Full fat milk can help you to lose weight, provided it's raw and it contains all the necessary omegas/vitamins and minerals, grass based organic being the best option. Natural fats found in milk/dairy produce are good for replacing the bad fat with the good, in order to lose weight it's necessary to substitute other fats for natural, like dairy produce for example. Most low fat products contain more sugar, because taking away fat makes the product lack flavour, so more sugar must be added to make up on flavour. Sorry for the long post ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:37:07 am »
Yep, fat (and protein) trigger the "I'm full, everything's fine" reaction and also avoid the spike (and the following drop) in blood sugar levels that cereals and carbohydrates cause. I'm sure individuals are more or less prone to the blood sugar thing, but I find it a very noticeable effect.

Milk of any kind still makes me snotty though  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:24 pm »

In Scotland the sale of raw milk (of any kind) is illegal, and it is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future... somehow the government (and more importantly the Scottish Food standards people) have a real grudge against raw milk (and raw milk cheese for that matter).... that's the main reason I started to keep goats. We all drink it - all the time. On hot days I often skip lunch and only have a large glass of milk or two... I now cannot bear the taste of supermarket milk at all... no idea if I would be slimmer with shop-bought milk or not, we have now had our own for 8 years...

It's only illegal in Scotland if it's not marked 'not for human consumption' but I'm with you on the rest of the post!  The Scottish Government clearly has no clue about the real issues they should be focussed on; they're too distracted by the obsession for independence!

The political aspect of thsi can be removed by the poster or I will remove it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »
I agree completely with you here. Buffalo milk on porridge, being 8% butterfat, is also very filling and I can easily skip lunch after having it for breakfast. Guernsey is between 5-7%, I think, very good for cheesemaker and also, in case you may not have known, the British Guernsey ( or rather original breed Guernsey kept vastly in Britain) has A2 milk, whereas the American breed of Guernsey has A1. There is a guy up the road from me who keeps em. Full fat rests quite heavily on the stomach and not only fills you up but makes you very sleepy too. Raw milk is the best for all the benefit of vitamins and pasteurisation actually changes the milk structure, some people who are indeed cows milk intolerant (not to be confused with lactose intolerant meaning intolerant to any animal milk product, all milk containing lactose) can actually be intolerant to the pasturisation process and not the milk itself. Sadly in Scotland raw milk is illegal (as listed above). Full fat milk can help you to lose weight, provided it's raw and it contains all the necessary omegas/vitamins and minerals, grass based organic being the best option. Natural fats found in milk/dairy produce are good for replacing the bad fat with the good, in order to lose weight it's necessary to substitute other fats for natural, like dairy produce for example. Most low fat products contain more sugar, because taking away fat makes the product lack flavour, so more sugar must be added to make up on flavour. Sorry for the long post ;)

Are you sure about the A1 / A2 reference here?

http://smilingtreefarm.com/blog/a2-milk-beta-casein-whats-buzz

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:09:02 am »
Yes. I remember talking to my father about it and I remember reading up about it on the internet. ik that waitrose used to sell guernsey butter made from A2 milk, because we bought some a few years back when one of my brother's still lived at home, he was intolerant to cows milk and we wanted to try him with the A2 option. Thanks for the article [member=13]Rosemary[/member]  very interesting :) I may have been slightly mistaken in saying all British Guernseys are A2, although the vast majority are. I did read that there are quite a few traditional breeds which also carry the A2 gene...
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »
If you want to test catle to see if they are A1 or A2, email this lady at Neogen in Scotland Louise Connelly <l.connelly@neogeneurope.com>

It's £10 plus VAT per animal. You can do it by hair sample or blood test but calves need to be over 6 months for a reliable test.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
If you want to test catle to see if they are A1 or A2, email this lady at Neogen in Scotland Louise Connelly <l.connelly@neogeneurope.com>

It's £10 plus VAT per animal. You can do it by hair sample or blood test but calves need to be over 6 months for a reliable test.

:bookmark: test for A2 gene
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, will look into that.

So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS