Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rig yearling  (Read 3823 times)

LLASH

• Joined Jun 2017
Rig yearling
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:50:46 pm »
Hello all
With one thing and another last year we have a handful (10) that didn't make it to market. They will be ready shortly but 2 of them are rig's. At least that what they are called in my horse world! From what I can tell They had the testicles left inside when the bands went on at castration. (Not sure how this happened) It's obvious to tell as they act like rams and they have a small testicular sack (they are sheared) Luckily they have always been kept separate from the flock.
My question is this. Are there any restrictions on them going to market or will this be frowned upon, as they are not rams and they are not weathers. They are intended for meat.
Excuse my inexperience, my grandad passed away last year and this is all a learning curve stumbling on these things
Thanks

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Rig yearling
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
The best thing to do would be to ask at your market, they will know what the local buyers want/don't want.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:53:45 pm »
There's plenty go to market with nuts intact....get them gone!
 Not sure how they were banded to still have a sack visible  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:04 pm »
Everyone gets the occasional rig, however careful one's banding technique.

Most marts have a cut-off date, after which entire male sheep (which would include rigs) cannot be present when breeding females will be present.  And some marts like you to separate rams and wethers when selling in the store ring, so that buyers know whether they're getting, or may be getting, animals with testicles or not.

If they're going in the fat ring and are ready now, you're probably safe enough - but if in doubt, check with the mart.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:03 pm »
If I understand you correctly then you are talking about lambs born in 2016 , if they still have all their small lamb teeth then get them sold in the next 10 days for maximum price testicles or no testicles makes no difference . If they have 2 big teeth in the centre or teeth missing then    no time pressure the bigger fatter the more money they will make , testicles or not again makes no difference just sell before august  when large numbers of cull ewes start to hit the market  and the price starts to fall

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:30:15 am »
A call to your livestock market and a word with the porter on the day is all you need, so everyone knows what's being sold.  Rigs happen.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:17 am »
A call to your livestock market and a word with the porter on the day is all you need, so everyone knows what's being sold.  Rigs happen.

A bit over the top for a fatstock market! :sunshine: . It's only if you were selling them as stores, that you would need to distinguish any rigs or entire males.
The meat buyers know what they're buying and the fact that 2 yearling sheep have still got their b*****ks won't make any difference! I don't castrate my lambs anyway, and have just sold my last batch of hoggs (yearlings) fat 2 weeks ago. I sell the males with the females and there is no difference in price.
As advised by Sbom - get them sold ASAP.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:15:13 pm »
Hmm, I don't think they'd like that at Hereford ....

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:48:36 pm »
You're surely not saying that in a fatstock market in Hereford you've got to point out which lambs or hoggs still have their nuts??!
They all taste the same on the plate!
(And I'm not talking about mature rams which obviously do get a bit rhimey/smelly.)
Rules are made:

Red Merle

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:11:48 pm »
I'm fairly sure that the market terms and conditions dictate you must declare it.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:06:07 pm »
cull yearling rams simple.  Have taken plenty to market and had one with half balls from last year.  No drama simply culls.  Def not called Whethers they are rams. They wont go as stores so no worries. Just say when dropped off what they are when booking in.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:14:13 pm by farmers wife »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:13:44 pm »
If they are going through the cull ring I can't see any reason to declare. Going through store ring you would have to declare.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 10:34:50 pm »
If they are going through the cull ring I can't see any reason to declare. Going through store ring you would have to declare.

Exactly!
Llash clearly stated in the first post that these animals are destined for meat, ie the fatstock market. There was never any suggestion of sending them as stores, so clearly no need to point out their nuts. :thumbsup:
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS