Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still on the lookout for Old English Goats  (Read 2574 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Still on the lookout for Old English Goats
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:22:32 am »
Hi All,

Hope you don't mind this repeat post. We're still on the lookout for some old english goats to provide milk for the house. We thought we had some secured, but the sellers' plans changes. We are members of the society, and have put the feelers out with them too. Location not an issue, we will travel to collect.

Thanks

Adam

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Still on the lookout for Old English Goats
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
Do old english goats even give enough milk??? I thought they are only kept for things like conservational grazing as they come from feral stock etc.
English goats were for milk instead "old english goat"?
I've seen some on preloved actually not sure if they are still there
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »
Do old english goats even give enough milk??? I thought they are only kept for things like conservational grazing as they come from feral stock etc.
English goats were for milk instead "old english goat"?
I've seen some on preloved actually not sure if they are still there

2 pints per day apparently, and dual purpose.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:49:10 pm »
Really??? I want one of them too in that case!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
Have you tried Irene McCreath? She's in D&G and I know she breeds them. In fact her goats starred in "Outlander"!

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
Pretty sure I've "spoken" to you on Goaty Friends FB page, Adam.
As I said on there (for the benefit of others on here who may see this), my goats are EGBA registered English goats rather than the shaggier Old English.
English goats rather than Old English tend to be sleeker and give a bit more milk (5 to 8 pints daily at peak which is enough to feed their kid (s) plus some spare for the house. Generally much the same size as Old English and just as rare.
The society is trying to address registration costs by use of videos and good quality photos as part of the registration process rather than travelling inspectors for us more far flung members.
I do some of the shows in summer if folk want to see any of my goats including RHASS or visits by arrangement.
No females available for sale just now tho. May be kids later on but have to wait and see what's born first! Or I have a few rising 2 year old wethers....

And yes several of them have been in Outlander.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
Hi Irene,

Thanks for that..yes, we've certainly spoken on goaty friends.

I will switch the search to English goats before long I think, just thought I'd give it one last go on here.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:06:27 pm »
Hi, a member called Jaykay used to have some.  Don't know if she's still on here I haven't been on for ages.  I bought 2 off her several years ago and had to sell them on straight away as they were climbing really high in the trees - they are very agile, you will need to have a high fence.  We didn't want to cut all our trees down, they were a hassle very quickly and our holding is near a main road.  Make sure you check out completely before you commit.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS