Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: one of those stories..  (Read 7388 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: one of those stories..
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:59 am »
We've had 2 very old chickens struck in the last couple of weeks.

Never known this in many years of keeping hens!

They were ancient and both a bit mucky at the back end but otherwise pottering around and keeping going.

Dispatched as they were about 8 years old and didn't want them to suffer at that age.

Is it a bad year for flies? There seem to be more insects in general up here this year.Lots of bees which is lovely but so many flies!

Hope Twiglet makes a full recovery.

Marti615

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 09:01:39 am »
I promised to explain more about the way in which your original post was disrespectful toward your wife, and I will try to do so here. I will also point out that the manner in which you wrote the post was generally insulting to women.

The story is about how your sheep got fly strike. It begins with this sentence:

“My pet sheep have 15 acres of hillside between the four of them 'cos wifey thinks restaining them to just the 10-acre field is cruel. She's nuts of course.”

This first sentence sets up reason the sheep went unnoticed. The blame will soon be placed squarely on your wife for putting a small number of sheep in a large enclosure, making it difficult to find them. The sentence makes clear to the reader that  the cause of the problem originates with your wife's poor judgment.

You write “restaining” but I am sure that is a typo for “restraining”. This verb is used to emphasize the extent of her poor judgment. To imagine that 10 acres would “restrain” that few sheep is silly, so your wife is made to look silly. In case the reader does not pick up on this notion, you underscore the problem by saying “She is nuts.”

Being called “wifey” is a diminutive. I would not allow myself to be called “wifey” but it is possible you see it as an endearment. So, we’ll leave that aside for now.

You then go on to write this:

"Wifey is hopeless at holding sheep and I have arthritic back problems and not as fit as I used to be so instead of arguing her into helping me shear Twiglet i let it slide."

So, not only has your wife’s poor judgment in pasturing four sheep caused you to overlook one, she is also not good at handling them. Her handling them is so “hopeless” you decided not to examine a sheep you thought might need further investigation for possible flystrike.

The sentence also makes evident that you would have liked to examine the sheep but did not think it was worth “arguing her into helping”.  The statement makes you appear long-suffering in your willingness to forgo examining the sheep in order to avoid arguing.  You place all blame on your wife.

You then write that the condition of the sheep became so poor that not even your wife prevented you from taking the actions you wanted to take from the outset. Again, you take on the role of the long-suffering husband, writing as follows:

"Yesterday Twiglet was a mess. She actually used the sheep shelter we call Gray's Inn for shade...flies buzzing everywhere so at least there was no argument from wifey."

To me, this makes it clear that your wife is an argumentative person who you have to work around. Twiglet was in such a mess that your wife did not argue this time, but the implication is that she usually would argue. You are finally able to do what you had wanted to all along (attend to the sick sheep) as your wife no longer presents the obstacles described earlier in the post.

Now, you feel I’ve insulted you for pointing out the ways in which you blamed and ridiculed your wife in this post. You feel it is “PC gone mad!”.

I would like to point out that your post was also full of politics. Your politics may not sound mad to you, but to me they sound very objectionable .

The term, “wifey” , may be an endearment to you, but the term also generalized your insults toward “the wife”, who could be any wife, and she is described so ungenerously, in turns as “nuts” as one who unnecessarily argues and who is incompetent (“hopeless”).

In a further post you write, “I suppose hubby is also banned”. You may have written this because you assume that the only problem with the post was the word “wifey”. But as you can see, that is not the case.

Very little speech is “banned”. You can write posts that some people will find insulting toward your wife—there is no law against that.

However, you may receive a response like mine in return. Free speech works both directions. My response is as a woman who found the persistent ridicule of your wife unnecessary and insulting. It was disrespectful to her, specifically, but also to women generally. That is why I felt demeaned and ridiculed reading.  It reminded me of those old stand-up comics who used to tell wife jokes on stage and I pointed out that the story could have been told without so much ridicule and blame. You may have thought it was funny, but to me it was insulting and sexist.

Other people will have a different view. Some women have bought into the idea that men can insult them with impunity. They just roll their eyes and look away. They may have grown so used to it they don’t even notice anymore. To them, the notion that women will be ridiculed has become a fact of life.

Again, I wish you and your family the best. I hope your sheep thrive. I don’t wish any ill upon you at all. It may be worth reviewing your language in your post and just asking whether it was necessary to write it as you did. I think you know it was insulting and are just angry that someone pointed it out. You also know it was easy to write the story without insulting anyone. In fact, you conclude the story of Twiglet in a manner that seems to be about caring toward your sheep, not ridiculing another person. I hope Twiglet makes a full recovery!

Marti

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:32 am »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY  :wave: :wave:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 09:34:21 am »
For heavens sake Marti - wind your neck in :sunshine:
In spite of my username I am female. But I am the farmer in the family and hubby is fairly useless with animals, (before he had a stroke). To have praised his stock handling abilities would have been nothing less than ridicule.
 I can perfectly sympathise with pgkevet for not dealing with the sheep when his animal useless wife is there. I would have done the same. It is invariably better to go back  and deal with the problem in a calm way later than to have to deal with an unwilling animal and an incompetent spouse at the same time. 
 It was perfectly obvious that pgkevet was relating to us an incident that most sheep farmers have experienced in one way or another. He was making what could have been fatal for Twiglet, more lighthearted by his humorous references to his wife. She must be perfectly aware of her inadequacies in sheep husbandry and has probably been teased about it several times. It's what you do in a stable marriage you know :innocent: . You can get at each other in a friendly way without causing in the least offence. (Maybe you should try it some time - might open up a whole new dimension :eyelashes: ). Anyway, I don't recall anyone appointing you to criticise (in such mind boggling detail :rant: ) what was a perfectly genuine and  entertaining post. I imagine you were possibly bullied at school. But you really do need to get over it. :thumbsup:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:57:38 am »
Mmmmm, I wasn't bullied at school  ::) but I can understand where Marti is coming from.

I still remember being really cross as a teenager at being referred to as 'the girlie' at gundog training classes and have told off my OH when he referred to me as 'the wife'.

I chose to believe that this post was written in a humourous way but I can see that  others may read it differently.

Maybe it is partly a generational thing and also different depending on the community that you're in.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:26 pm »
guys, guys shouldn't we try to keep on topic here? Let us not go into who said what or whatever, at the end of the day this is about twiglet and her progress. I am finding this thread very interesting/sad/happy at the same time. I hope you don't mind me saying this [member=171105]Marti615[/member]  if you do have an issue with the manner in which he was talking about his OH wouldn't it be better to private message [member=16228]pgkevet[/member]  and make your point via that? Or indeed set up a new topic? After all this thread is really about the sheep and how the situation has been resolved...  Ok point made am outta here... :coat:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
Having been brought up with my father using wifie as an endearment to my mother I could not see anything wrong with the term. 

I bet most of us at some time have left a sheep that should have had a closer inspection for one reason or another, the important thing is that you go back and have a proper look sooner rather than later, not three days hence.  Here it is usually because we cannot catch it and have to lug hurdles ect into place and feed them all to pen them up and then have a look see.  Nothing wrong with that as something out of the ordinary has been noticed.

I have had two cases of maggots this year and the shearer found another that showed no symptoms.  He said that there is a lot about.  I had been holding off with the crovect until he had been but he said next year do them anyway.  Not sure that the hand spinners would be so happy though.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:08 pm »
Lets make a few things clear here. I'm thick skinned so if you all want to criticise my terminology or vocabulary then please go ahead - enjoy yourselves. There's very little I'm going to bother defending and I doubt I'll change. Nor do any of you know my wife to be able to judge but believe me we've both had a chuckle over this thread and she has no resentment over my posts.

What i shall defend is any suggestion that my sheep were or are neglected. We both go down every evening to pet them and feed them some nuts. For some reason this year they've stopped rushing up as readily - partly 'cos the pasture is particularly lush but probably because we lost Blue a few months ago and he was the greedy one that always rushed down and the rest followed.

So when I 'thought I caught a wiff of flystrike' I wasn't certain and V hates to see them man-handled. While i did manage to catch twiglet i couldn't hold her and see the bottom of her tail properly and just managed a glance under to the perinuem which was clean. They then didn't come to us the next day so 48hrs passed.. and anyone who has seen flystrike knows how fast it progresses.

The days when i could pick up a 70Kg sheep have long, long gone.... about 20years ago with a spinal vertebral abscess. Now I have trouble just tipping them over onto side or bottom and not enough strength to hold them as well as do stuff to them. Once it was obvious that Twiglet had a problem then it just had to get sorted irrespective of discomfort to me or V.

We can see their field across the valley and wqtch them go up to bed, come down in the morning and so forth from the sunroom.

Current state of play is that Twiggy spent the day in Grays Inn and drank salty/sugary water when we carried it to her. She ate only a few hazel leaves but this evening she was standing outside Grays Inn carefully selecting the youngest grassy undergrowth to graze a little of and took  a whole handful of nuts so i expect her to be fine. The lesions have dried.

Also with the panic over I've examined and re-assembled the clippers and they work well. Sheep clippers I wasn't familiar with - compared to the brands i used on SA work they're unsophisticated and the worries that were going through my head re whether there was a blade spring missing or difficulties with tension adjustments etc weren't there. Indeed these ebay cheapo sheep clippers are well worth the money if you only have a few sheep..just make sure it's all tightened up before use and spend the extra to buy an inverter for field use off a car battery.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
Wifey (correct spelling) should start her own TAS account - if she is allowed ;)  ......

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:54 am »
Wifey (correct spelling) should start her own TAS account - if she is allowed ;)  ......

..you think i'd get to voice an opinion about that? ::)

This am twiggy was with the other three as a flock. I bumped into the farmer friend that's sheared them in the past .. he's back from hols and was 'down't pub' and happy to do them again - he's still feeling quite fit despite his illness. He plans on coming tomorrow and my job will be to get the flock onto the bridge over the stream- gates each side.

I chased them from the 10-acre hillside to the 5 acre field today. That is no fun. The large field is a 30degree hillside and thick grass and a scattering of trees. The flock got away from twiggy early on and I didn't want to stress chase her so left her behind. Herding the sheep solo on a field like that is 'a challenge'. There are some steeper bits and when they break sideways I end up racing across the horizontal and i hate being on 2 wheels on a quadbike; age and reflexes.

From the 5-acre to the gates is always a lot easier.. it's a clear field with only a 20 degree even slope. I'll get them on the bridge when Wynn rings before he comes. He's a good friend, usually brings one of his lads along as well.. and i've just come back from a supplies run including bottles of thank-you booze.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 02:12:56 pm »
Glad to hear Twiglet is doing well and shearing is imminent.   :relief:

I hope you will forgive me, pgkevet, for continuing the side conversation.

As a woman now in her sixties (just!), I can well remember the strain of being always the only female engineer, being assumed to be the secretary, hearing other working women referred to as 'the girl', constantly having to decide whether to correct and inform, or allow the sexism to go unremarked.

So I applaud Marti615 for having the guts to stick up for her beliefs and taking the time to explain where she felt the perfectly normal husband-and-wife banter could be taken as disrespectful to women.

These days, I believe the underlying sexism is all but gone from large swathes of western society, and agree with several posters that we could just as likely have been reading a post written by a female smallholder being equally derogatory about her non-animal-oriented husband. 

But where someone has a deeply held belief, and is of the opinion that a wrong has been done, I would always rather hear that view expressed than risk the result of when 'good people say and do nothing' (to paraphrase and de-genderise a well known saying!)

And respect to you, pgkevet, too, for openly describing a situation we can all find ourselves in, for restraint and good humour in responding to Marti615's comments - and for 41 years of marriage, which is no mean achievement these days.

Now can we please all get back to loving each other, and, more importantly, hearing more of the Further Adventures of Twiglet  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 06:26:28 pm »
I was sure i saw twiggy near the top on the right at lunchtime so walked (climbed) up the hill to pet and reassure her. Could i find her? No chance. The garss is wasit high that side plus a boggy area with high reeds and bushes and some bracken. I found and empty sheep nest under the bush. After a half hour of plodding around the field i gave up. I hae it booked to be topped next week but you could trip over a sheep up there and not see it.

This evening V went off to look.. with OO the black barn cat waking to heel behind. I got whined into taking Rebel for a walk and we followed a way behind. Rebel stays this side of the bridge gates and when i got there i could hear V talking to Twiggy who was eating nuts and hazel and sniffing OO. Twiggy is always interested in cats and dogs. OO took it on her toes when i rocked up but re-appeared a couple of minutes later torturing a mouse.

I petted Twiggy and then just walked behind her and coaxed her into oaktree field where the other sheep are invisible; either over the far rise by top gate or in the rocky bracken corner top left. Twigs was cropping grass well. V has just gone back with more nuts to try and reunite the flock.

I pointed out to V that someone suggested she join the forum. Her reply was that she'd really wind folk up unless you have a section for retired hunt sabateurs, animal rights activists and strict vegans with a  fiery irish temper, strong personal views and a penchant for written scatology... ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:20 pm »
V sounds great fun, get her on here.  It's ages since we've had a good debate...  :stir: :stir:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 08:50:26 am »
Perhaps the Coffee Lounge rather than the Sheep section is the best place for tirades on feminism?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:48 am »
I was sure i saw twiggy near the top on the right at lunchtime so walked (climbed) up the hill to pet and reassure her. Could i find her? No chance. The garss is wasit high that side plus a boggy area with high reeds and bushes and some bracken. I found and empty sheep nest under the bush.

Really good news to hear that Twiggy is ok. :thumbsup:  Though I can't help feeling that some time in the near future, with all this food she's letting you persuade her to eat, you might need to change her name to something more voluminous. :sheep:
But I was really intrigued by the "sheep nest." Was it beautifully lined with wool? :knit: Hopefully you hadn't disturbed the inhabitants and they will return in time.  ;D
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS