Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland ewe seriously off colour  (Read 3632 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Shetland ewe seriously off colour
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
This is our hand tame, comes when she sees me, brings all the others with her, eats out of my hand, jumps up at me like a dog to get her head into the bucket ewe.

I noticed her lying down this afternoon (nothing new there), but this evening she was still there and she wouldn't come over at feeding time.  She's a bit unsteady on her feet and wanting to lie down all the time.  She's only nibbling at a bit of cake when I fed her by hand.  She is sheared and no signs of wicks but she seems very off colour.

Any ideas what might be ailing her?

I've put her in a pen with her ram lamb to keep an eye on her: food and water provided.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Shetland ewe seriously off colour
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:17:04 pm »
Take her temperature is a good start, check for flystrike (even if she is shorn) then give the vet a ring if you're still no further forward.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:31:03 pm »
At this time in the evening I'd give her a dose of antibiotic if you have any.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:55:31 pm »
Definitely taking her temperature, check her udder for possible mastitis, and check her breathing. AB's and I would also give her a shot of NSAID's - either Metacam or Flunixin (acts as a painkiller). She could also be short on Calcium, and if she hasn't been grazing, a drench of propylene glycol (twin lamb drench) will give her a boost. If not better in the morning - vet.

How old is her lamb?

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:10 am »
Thanks peeps.  I don't have a thermometer so can't take her temp.  Been out to her this morning and she is up and on her feet and lamb suckling (coming up 9 weeks old). She is eating a little cake too but still off her food because I left her plenty and most of it's still there (she would normally kill for it). She's looking quite skinny though now that I see her in proper day light. 
I have some Duphapen+Strep left over from last year but it hasnt been kept in the fridge.  Would it be good to give her a shot of that?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:35 am »
Go get a thermometer first- if she doesn't have a temperature then that normally means there is no infection. So much antibiotic resistance occurring because people reach for the antibiotics before seeing if they are actually necessary. We always have a bottle of recocam (metacam) and use that more than antibiotics if temperature is normal although for a small flock keeping a bottle of that is costly. If you're still out of ideas I would ring the vet for a chat at least. Second guessing with sheep can be a risky business before you know it they are going even more downhill and are dead- if you can't pinpoint the problem sometimes it's best to ring the vet who probably can.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:28 am »
Has she been on young, fast growing grass?  Might be grass staggers if so.  Otherwise I'd phone the vet for advice - flystrike and pneumonia most likely at this time of year but the abrupt weather changes we've seen in recent weeks can catapult ewes and lambs  into a variety of problems.

Red Merle

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:42:21 am »
I would say because you are new to sheep definitely ring the vet to discuss but before you do call the vet just stand and watch her for a few minutes so you can describe exactly what she's like

Does she appear blind. Is she walking in circles.  Is she propping herself up on things.  Is she propelling herself into gates.

It could potentially be a Vit B deficiency but it could also be everything everyone above has mentioned.  Staggers and calcium deficiency they can go down fast.

Check her feet for maggots. Check all of her fleece for them. They do die from flystruck as they go off their food and are literally eaten alive by maggots.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »
With flystrike, quite often the animal is incredibly off colour but with a cursory inspection you can't see anything. This may be because the animal is literally crawling with thousands of tiny maggots that are difficult to see. But there is usually a very characteristic smell that you have never smelt before, and that you will never forget. In addition, put your ear to the animal's back and you will hear a constant clicking sound of the maggots at work.
Rules are made:

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »
Thanks peeps.  Got a thermometer.  Is it a push up the....erm....rear end jobbie?

And what is normal, low and high?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 04:34:04 pm »
Yes. (Unless she'll hold it under her tongue. :innocent: )
Google temperature.
Rules are made:

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:18 am »
Quick update.
She is fine now and I wanted to say a big thank you for the support and advice.  A good friend and knowledgeable shetland keeper suggested willow branches and we kept her penned with cake and water.  The vet came yesterday, took her temperature (but low) and was amazed she hadn't turned her tows up, said to take poo samples while she was penned but as I climbed over the 4' high hurdles she jumped out and buggered off, smartly followed by her lamb.  So all look well again.  Thanks peeps. :thumbsup: 

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 11:30:42 am »
Always good to read about the happier endings! :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
Thanks peeps.  Got a thermometer.  Is it a push up the....erm....rear end jobbie?

For future reference, slide it very gently into the anus so it lies alongside the wall of the rectum - if it gets buried in a lump of soon-to-be-expelled faeces the reading is likely to likely to be cooler than the actual body temperature.  Broadly speaking below 39 degrees is low, 37 deg. very low and above 41 deg. is high, 42 deg. very high (bacterial infection likely)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:27 am »

For future reference, slide it very gently into the anus so it lies alongside the wall of the rectum - if it gets buried in a lump of soon-to-be-expelled faeces the reading is likely to likely to be cooler than the actual body temperature.  Broadly speaking below 39 degrees is low, 37 deg. very low and above 41 deg. is high, 42 deg. very high (bacterial infection likely)

So 42 deg C (plus symptoms) would be your trigger for antibiotics asap?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS