Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shower recommendation - water/energy saving  (Read 2253 times)

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
Shower recommendation - water/energy saving
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:32 am »
I hope it's ok to post this in the building section but it is for the renovation of our stables into a shower block:

I'm looking for 2 showers for our shower block in the glamping business we're currently setting up in West Wales - I want a timer or push button on each of them to stop the possibility of them being left on wasting, hot, water but I'm really put off by the traditional push button showers I've experienced when camping/glamping etc as they often run out after 30 secs/a min. Showers will be heated by solar thermal with LPG backup.

Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Shinding

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: Shower recommendation - water/energy saving
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »
Can't hep with the push button but I've recently installed an in-line flow limiter on my LPG combi-fired shower, as we had mega pressure and was guzzling loads of fuel. It came with two inserts..  6L/min feels a bit mean but 8L/min is perfectly enjoyable.
 :thumbsup:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:19:36 pm »
Get a 20p meter.

| dont let the waterboard come and inspect your 'tank' if they offer.

Infact dont apply for planning at all - just install it and run with it.

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:12 pm »
Hmmm - I'm afraid we've already applied for planning! What happens when the WB inspect your tank? I'm very intrigued:)
Shinding

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:13 pm »
You have to have a new system - your not allowed 'holes in the floor'

Mine cost me 30,000 just for the tank - then there was the 3/4 km of soak away pipes - as we dont have a running stream so couldnt use a reed bed system

We do have 5 showers mind and 6 toilets.

You may also be asked to have a disabled area as we were for equal opportunities

When you get it going - also look at Airbnb - we do loads of booking through it

Good luck with it :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:59:37 pm by bazzais »

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:48 am »
Bleedin 'ell Bazzais - huge cost and I will not let the WB inspect anything! Thanks for the advice.

We're having huge problems even getting onto mains water (Welsh Water have said our nearest water point is around 100m up the road and we have to dig up 2 fields (not ours) to get it from that point, to ourselves. Unsure if the old guy opposite had to do the same when they got mains!). We may have to reconsider using our spring water and work out how to get the pressure for that!
Shinding

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:31:36 am »
If you really want to cut energy usage, you could look into waste water heat recovery. This involves placing a heat exchanger in the shower waste outlet and running the incoming cold water through it to pick up heat, before being fed into whatever instant heating system you are using to boost it to the full temperature. Basically you are getting back a good chunk of the energy that would otherwise be literally going down the drain.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS