Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eating qualities of 1 yr old sow  (Read 2711 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
eating qualities of 1 yr old sow
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:25 am »
Ive got x3 Welsh sows that just havent gone due to work commitments. They are big but havent weighed them.  1.  I'll have to find an abattoir to take them the local one is max 120kg.  2. the joints will be big 3. Is the meat chewy? 4. Is the meat saleable? 5. chances of wholesale selling or not worth it? 6. take to market a waste of time - assume they have eaten well over £100 worth of feed.

Ive made my own sausages in the past but I dont know whether I can cope with huge amounts. I'm happy to make bacon etc.

Im in SE Wales - Monmouthshire - Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: eating qualities of 1 yr old sow
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:23:40 am »
I would be inclined to have a word with your market auctioneers, explain the situation and consider their advice on how to sell them - if you're looking to recoup the cost of their feed you may not succeed but pig prices have picked up in recent months.  I've never taken in a pig that old for pork but I think it likely the meet would be rather tough and 3 well grown pigs would produce a mountain of sausages.  The quicker they're gone the sooner the feed bill ends.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »
I had two, two year old saddleback sows culled last year and it was the best pork I've had
Big bark of fat but renders "slow and low@ in the oven for 3+ hours and it is beautiful
Also fantastic bacon and sausages. Some of the old timers reckon the best bacon comes from a sow after it's firs litter

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:49:35 pm »
Meat from sows is perfectly useable. Large joints with lovely dark meat which will cook perfectly well. Nice big loins and bellies will also make great bacon. Don't be told otherwise. Mature pig meat will also make great sausages. Where do you think all the cull pigs go from commercial farms?

DuncanDavis

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:07:56 am »
My rule of thumb is the older it is the slower to cook it, but the more flavour it has

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS