Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drilling holes in a stone wall  (Read 4802 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Drilling holes in a stone wall
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:05 pm »
Hi folks,

I need to drill 24x 10mm diameter holes in an old stone wall (see attached picture). Usually I get to pick which spot to drill into, but not this time, since it's for wall ties. This means I'm going to have to drill through some very hard stones.

I have an SDS hammer drill.  Any idea what bits I need to buy for it, and what method I should use?

Cheers!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Drilling holes in a stone wall
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:45:56 pm »
well SDS 10mm bit obviously  :)  long enough to achieve the required depth. You may start with a smaller bit 1st if you want - 6mm perhaps - to help positioning the holes - but an SDS should go in OK directly with a 10.

method? - if you've not used SDS before I'd only say don't push too hard - you need to allow space for the hammer action to work - just apply moderate pressure and let it go in at it's own speed.

Main issue with stone walls is when you start on the mortar and hit a sloping stone underneath which deflects the bit off to the side - particularly if it's the old lime mortar - not sure if there's an easy answer to that - other than taking it slow until you're sure your properly into the stone.

HTH

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:05 am »
SDS Masonary bits.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:50:09 am »
Hmmm, I'm not sure a standard masonry bit is going to be enough though - I've blunted plenty of non-SDS ones in my time. Perhaps I was pushing too hard of course (thanks for the tip Mab).

I just wondered if there was something tougher out there, that might be worth considering?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:31:32 pm »
yes - let the saw do the work as my dad taught me - same with a drill - you get too many people pushing equipment to its limits and beyond trying to do a fast job when the job takes time

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:43:08 pm »
Just buy quality drill bits from a tool store..not from the supermarket or your local pound shop.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:00:44 pm »
hilti bits ,( TE-CX 4 cutting surfaces ) if you get some  get from hilti so you be sure they are genuine and tell them what you want to drill , makes a difference .rest drill bits during work , as others have said dont force the work and get them redressed professionally, and don't forget if possible water for cooling / dust control  I used a pump sprayer.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:46 pm »
What about diamond core drills they dont tend to get deflected

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS