Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing our sheep  (Read 2983 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
Showing our sheep
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:31:01 am »
Some of you may remember my thread earlier in the year re shearing for showing. 

Quick update - we entered the Suffolk Show yesterday with two of our girls - managed to get them halter trained, cleaned up, on the trailer and to the show and in the ring with no major crises!  We didn't place, but also didn't come last - so that is a win for us.  We were up against serious competitors who have been doing this for years, and breed for showing, in a mixed breed class.

The judge was impressed with our sheep, but they weren't quite in top show condition (weren't as fat as the others  ;D ).  So now we are making plans for the Royal Norfolk where we are in a Coloured Ryeland class which will be interesting.

We had a fabulous day and the girls were a great hit with the public as we waited to enter the ring (took them up far too early in our newbie eagerness)!  Despite coming home with no rosettes we are happy happy happy and very proud of our girls.

Any other showers out there?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Showing our sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
Well done you certainly look the part, nice to see you turned out correctly.   :thumbsup:   It is great fun and quite addictive showing sheep, and you will meet lots of nice people.  Good luck next time!

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:54 am »
Thank you - yes, I think we have caught the bug!  But we are all agreed it has to remain fun. 

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:03:54 pm »
Not a shower yet but keen to get started with it. We went to the Rutland show today and really want to have a go at showing our sheep there next year and we are thinking about braving Melton Mowbray to show and sell our ram lambs.

Well done for getting out there and I'm sure you'll be picking up rosettes soon!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:40:52 am »
Thanks Dans, we jumped in with both feet after a great coloured ryelands group get together - felt inspired!  Got a couple of smaller shows coming up that should be interesting.

Good luck with your ram lambs

Grace93

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:15:29 pm »
Hi,

I'm going to start showing my ryelands for the first time in a few weeks time. Do you have any tips? I'm very nervous!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 06:15:54 pm »
Hi [member=156795]desertmum[/member] we were penned in front of you at The Royal Norfolk and you did a great job with your sheep they looked great. Hope to see you there again next year.

[member=172345]Grace93[/member], my tips: just look after your sheep and relax. There is a lot to learn first time out just getting the logistics right but everyone will help you.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »
Well done for getting out there, they look great :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS