Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Log cabins/sheds  (Read 1939 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Log cabins/sheds
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:41:00 pm »
I am after getting a log cabin sort of shed for doing craftwork in, it will get a lot of clutter out of my spare room.

There is what seems like an ideal one at a reasonable price, new, 5mx4m with 44mm sides. 

However looking and talking to a log cabin place they were saying that I would have a lot of problems due to warping and movement.  They are trying to sell me one with 70mm walls at a hugely increased price.

Anyone have experience with these things?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Log cabins/sheds
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »
No expert or experience but it might be worth checking what the wood is finished with, if anything.  Warping may be affected by the seal/coating used?  I'd be interested in what you end up buying, as a log cabin would be very useful to me too.. I might even have a usable spare room!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:37:18 pm »
Well we've got 3 camping pods at Westfield and I'm pretty sure the walls are @44mm. We've had them for 2 years now and not noticed any warping.

Also we've got a 36ft long garden shed which we bought second hand @ 35 years ago. The wood on that is certainly less than 44mmm and it hasn't warped.

i'd be tempted to look at a few more manufacturers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:41:52 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 10:15:36 pm »
Thanks folks, I think the local bods are trying to scare me into their expensive product.  The one I am looking at has not been treated and has to be done once erected.  I expect sorting out the base will be the hard bit for us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:21 pm »
I've used cheap 'n' cheerful wooden sheds for housing turkeys, creosoted them (proper creosote) and rested the base on old bits of paving slab so it's clear of the ground and had no problems with warp or rot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS