Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: plastic fence posts?  (Read 3405 times)

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
plastic fence posts?
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
Looking at using recycled plastic fence posts from Slowly plastics dose any one have any tips or experince, was going to get them in with a tractor mounted  post knocker but not sure if they are ok to do this with, I have km of fencing and to put up much of witch will be 4 strand electric, with stock netting along the foot paths we will be having mostly sheep but may raise some calves once we are all set up.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: plastic fence posts?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:15:52 pm »
Don't see why you can't use a post knocker , Solway should give you advice ,iv'e used a few plastic posts and treated then just like wooden ones .  I hope that the 4 strand electric fence is going to be operated from a mains fencer unit or failing that a leisure battery and a solar panel to constantly keep it charged  plus  I would use steel wire it keeps tighter and  has a stronger kick

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:56:04 pm »
Yep it will be mains in the long run but until the mains supply is sorted it wip be a big leisure batteryand solar panels of my camper as It's getting an up grade. Thanks for the tip on the wire

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:28:40 pm »
We have areas with RUTLAND  high tensile  wire   onto wooden posts using plastic tubing and staples , I wonder if you are using plastic posts then you may not need the tubing ( very time consuming ) and can just staple straight to the post ?

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
In theory yes you could just staple but it has 2 draw backs the fenceis less effective in heavy rain and if replacing wire it becomes a right pain in the butt I have had plastic posts with the yard my pony was at I've just not fitted them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS