Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1595 times)

Sandersonclan

• Joined May 2017
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
Hello to anyone reading!

I have just moved (2 weeks ago) onto a 6 acre site, and have 3 x 30m commercial greenhouses and a 60m one! I am still not sure what I am going to do with them (Are they in demand at all?)

Do need to keep on top of the field, but getting a farmer in to top seems wasteful. Looking further - a Quad and flail mower seem popular?

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:18 pm »
Welcome to TAS from Nottinghamshire !!

Lots you can do with good sized greenhouses. A few sheep would act as good lawnmowers.
Scallywag
Be careful what you scratch if you've been chopping chillies

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:53:23 am »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:52:10 am »
Hi and welcome
whereabouts are you?
would it be possible to rent it out for sheep/cattle / horses?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:53 am »
Clearly you need a banana plantation in one of the greenhouses... :farmer:

Do check insurance and safety cover, glass in high wind is no fun at all. So many growing possibilities I can't even begin. Try looking up polytunnel advice/books? What sort of horticulture experience do you have?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:58:58 am »
Hi
and welcome to the forum from Ceredigion!  :wave: Always great to have new people aboard   :)
Sheep would seem a logical answer, maybe some store lambs to start off, then you have some nice meat in the freezer and something to sell end of the year at market.  I myself could suppkly the animals in question if you like? ;D ;)  :innocent: Do you have a CPH number for sheep at all?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sandersonclan

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! We are still extremely unsure of which direction to go. Livestock might be a bit ambitious to start with as we have no prior experience, nor any outbuildings other than the greenhouses. We fell in love with the space - as did the kids.

Currently trying to tackle some of the neglected growth - had a 4 man brush cutter party at the weekend!!

Thinking of a quad and flail mower to allow me to do the space myself, but a lot of choices out there. Any better to consider than others?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS